Home Website Youtube GitHub

Simplyfing bone names

Hi,
I would like to simplify the bone names and shorten them.clavicle_l0_clavicle_jnt to clavicle_l0_jnt in the post. Currently rig is using
{component}{side}{index}{description}_{extension}
Is there a way in mgear to remove description from names in post? I have tried it by removing it before building it but it breaks the heirarchy.

Since the component and description are probably needed to avoid name clashes during building, perhaps you could consider changing the names in a post script after you finish building.

(The downside to that is if you import skinning during building, the joint names won’t match the exported jSkin files. But you could import skinning after doing the renaming.)

Just an idea.

Thanks for the quick response.
Yes, I would like to do it before importing skinning.
So is there no way to use mgear to query descriptions? To use something like this Post script "changeParent" functionality - #3 by actoratwork ?

Pardon, I don’t follow where that question came from.

To query the description, you might want to investigate the following things:

1. scripts/mgear/shifter/naming.py

2. This thread about accessing the stepDict, which I know does contain name, index, side. For the description, it might be “jointNameDescriptor” but I haven’t tested that. I just found it in guide.py How to use the stepDict to access ALL the things

Thanks! Yes, I was looking for something like this

1 Like