Home Website Youtube GitHub

Align different components orientations

i am having some dificulties aligning a spine fk component and a chain fk component.

Kind of confused on how to visualize the orientations on these during guide set up

After i build the orientation of the controllers should be the same (local +z forward, X + right , Y up)

Help would be appreciated regarding this topic

Thank you

Bumping this thread because I’ve been unable to find a solution as well. The Orientation Offset XYZ affects the joint orientation for the skeleton, but does not affect the orientation of the controls.

Example, the COG, Spine, and Foot-Roll controllers are all oriented in different directions. So it is not possible to use Rotate X on every control to make the motion curl in/out without having other selected sections twist.

If there was a way to have control orientations “match parent” or have an offset separate from the joints I’d love to know. World orientation alignment is good for some things but not usually for chains like spines/fingers/limbs.

This is very related to this other thread: How to have controls match the pivots (Translation and Rotations) exactly with the joints? - #2 by chrislesage

It depends on the component. Some have settings. Some don’t. Some use a blade for orientation. Some don’t. etc.

And for some, if you have very specific needs, you’ll likely need to consider cloning/modifying a custom component, or modifying things in a post python script. The guide settings can only get you so far.