Home Website Youtube GitHub

Animation from deformation joints back onto controllers

Hello!

Does anyone have any idea how to transfer an animation that has already been exported back to the controllers? I have been pondering this for several days and want to share my process. Perhaps someone will have a better solution to the problem I am facing. Here is what I have been doing:

1. Creating a rig, animating, and exporting animation as FBX.
  2. Returning to the default pose.
  3. Unlocking and making keyable deformation joints.
  4. Separating rig, model, and joints with mGear game tools using Disconnect and Export.
  5. Referencing and connecting both in a new assembly scene using Reference and Connect.
  6. Importing joints with animation.
  7. Positioning animated joints in the default pose.
  8. Disconnecting joints with game tools.
  9. Constraining deformation joints to animation joints, then baking.
  10. Deleting animated joints.
  11. Parent constraining controllers to corresponding joints. (!)
  12. Baking controllers and deleting keys on joints.
  13. Connecting joints with game tools.

During my research, I noticed that connecting and disconnecting uses a .jmm file where information related to controllers and joints is stored. I am wondering if it would be possible to use ‘matrixConstraint’ to precisely locate the appropriate position for a controller? Could the functionality be reversed to let a joint drive the position of a controller?

Also, What would be the quickest way to find out which controller should be constraint to which joint? Number 11 is kinda hard and I would like to hear your opinion about this bullet point.

Can provide files if anyone need to take a look at it. :slight_smile:

1.Creating a rig, animating, and exporting animation as FBX.
2.Rig returning to the default pose, legs and arms are FK mode. deformation joints has namespace.
3.Duplicate deformation joints as translate joints.
4.Translate joints parent constrain FK Ctrls.
5.Import FBX animation file, FBX file joints has no namespace.
6.Bake FK Ctrls.
7.Delete translate joints.
I have a script for this,batch import fbx animation and save ,you can modify and use it
微信图片_20231011111054

1 Like

2 Likes