Home Website Youtube GitHub

Can I create controls for existing joints WITHOUT freezing rotations?

Hey guys!

I’d really appreciate it if someone could look into this.
So I have a clean EPIC skeleton that i need to just generate controls for. The EPIC Metahuman snap feature for the guides work perfectly for this.

The only downside is that I need to preserve the translation and rotation values on the skeleton and I can’t freeze the rotation values on the skeleton.

As mentioned in the picture, mGear is perfectly able to create controls if i freeze rotations. But can I generate controls for joints that aren’t necessarily frozen? It’d also be great if you could suggest a way around this issue.

(An Idea that I have is to actually create a copy of the skeleton (let’s call it dummy skeleton), create the guides for it, build it, get the controllers and now as a post-script, transfer all the constraints of the controllers to my original EPIC skeleton. Is this possible?) @chrislesage

Hi @ragha I’ve never tried the feature you’re talking about. So I don’t know.

But yes, I have created a duplicate skeleton to do things similar to this. That’s probably a good solution to try. I wouldn’t “transfer” the constraints, if your orientations are different. It might work, or it might change the pose a bit. Personally, I would probably just hack the skeletons together with some parentConstraints with maintainOffset=True.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the reply Chris!

Yes, constraining the ‘game skeleton’ (with the rotation values) to the ‘Rig skeleton’ (zeroed out rotation values) could work for my case. It would just be even cleaner if the Rig skeleton also 100% matches the game skeleton so that debugging could be easier and also to avoid any further issues. Do let me know if there’s any way we could preserve the rotation values of the joints and still generate the controllers. :slight_smile: Thanks again for the response.