Home Website Youtube GitHub

Control_01 Opposite Axes not doing Opposite Behaviour

Hello mGear crew!
This is my first post to the forums, so I’d like to start by saying a big hearty thank you to the team for providing us with such an amazingly robust rigging toolkit.

Now then, I’ve got a bit of an odd issue going on,
There must be something I’m missing here, or some general Maya knowledge I don’t have about how axes work.

So you see these two control_01 shapes here?

ignore that small one in the bottom right

They’re stacked on top of each other, one slightly above the other. Their axes are in opposite directions from each other. The reason for this is when I grab both of their controllers, I want their behaviour to be that when you move or rotate one of them, the other moves or rotates in the opposite direction. That’s the behavior I want

When building, the behavior is correct when moving the two along the x axis and the y axis, But it’s incorrect when moving along the Z axis. (They move together when I expect them to move in opposite directions)

when I tried replicating the test with normal maya objects here it works fine without issue.
Any help or insight on what might be going on under the hood would be much appreciated,

1 Like

Just a bit of a follow-up to hopefully make things more clear

Sorry about the confusing nurbs curves clutter by the way

Hi welcome,

The way mGear does the mirror behaviour, it makes the parent of the control on the right side scaled to -1 in translateZ. And then rotates one of the axes 180 degrees, I believe.

This is behaving like it is supposed to be in character space. And how it would mirror in a character pose. Forward/back in Z would be the same, not opposite.

I do understand you want all 3 axes to be opposite. You said you already have a technique for doing it, in your tests. How did you do it? I suggest perhaps replicating that in a post Python script, and adjusting the parent’s scaling. (Or whatever you did.)

But you won’t find a way to force Control_01 to behave that way without adjusting it yourself in code, because it is intended for character pose space.

1 Like

Hi, thanks for the quick reply.
Ok great, that makes sense. Thank you!