Home Website Youtube GitHub

Control doesn't inherit the channels from 3 Joint Leg

Hello,

i’m currently trying out mgear and run into a problem. When I take the biped template and replace the normal leg with the 3jnt leg and add an control for it to inherit the channels, it doesn’t do it. I tried to look at the quadruped template, to see if I missed something, since there it works fine, but I couldnt find anything.

Does control_C0_root still exist when you build? Is there a chance you selected that guide in the settings, but then renamed it afterwards? If so, I don’t believe the settings window is smart enough to update to the new name. You’d have to update it yourself. (That’s my only guess without seeing more.)

2 Likes

I just want to say that i found the error. It wasn’t about it being renamed or something like that. The control shape is hidden when I build the rig. That shouldn’t normally happen, right? Is it maybe a setting with the 3jnt leg? Since on the other Components the Control shapes are never hidden. Anyway, thank you for the support!

1 Like

Well, did you parent it under a node that gets hidden? Then yeah it’s normal. Is the control itself getting hidden? Then maybe that isn’t normal.

On a related note, there is another video Miquel made that explains you shouldn’t parent UI controls underneath the limbs that they are controlling. It causes extra evaluation and can slow down the rigs. If you parent the UI controls outside the hierarchy of the limbs, you can easily see FPS gains of 5 to 15 FPS. (I keep mine above my rig, which is a bit of a pain for the animators, but the speed gain is worth it.)

1 Like

Hello @Gobi If I remember correctly, I think that is an unfortunate side effect of the relative connector that I have set in the root of the leg_3jnt (or maybe other locator in the guide) since this connector points to a hidden object the child will be hidden. Indeed I have to review that.

NOTE: For the UIHost parenting recommendation from @chrislesage That is how Maya evaluates the rig in Parallel, not only mGear. If you are using DG that is not really important.

Hello,
I started using mgear this year for our 3 year project and it is and it has saved alot of time, I am also experiencing this side affect. I am building a rig for a goose and I am using the leg3_jnt, and i have controls for the “toes” of the goose as well.

I have found the culprit that is making them hidden. If I just un-hide these joints it makes the controls visible. I assume if it doesn’t break anything that i can use this as solution? for the time being. Or is there a reason that those should be hidden?