Home Website Youtube GitHub

Control01 naming description problem

[mgear 4.2.0]
Hello !
It seems that since mgear 4.2.0, the description of guide Control01 isn’t recognized during the build.
For exemple, here is my naming configuration :

And for my control :

If i keep things like this and I build, I will have the following :

If i change “ctl” by “control” or any other word in the description of the control, the description will appear during the next build. I did a test with “blabla” and the description is now here :

In 4.0.9 i had _control (and I don’t know why I hadn’t _Control instead because I wrote in naming settings “Control” with a capital.

Weird issue n°2: if I put the description like this : {extension}{side}{description}_{component}, the control will be named like this : “Ctrl_C_BACKSTAB” without any double underscore even if the description is None.

extension = Ctrl
side = C
description = ?
component = BACKSTAB

You have probably a fix for double “_” inside the code because I remember having issues with snake case convention inside control names in previous versions.

A temporary fix is to put on all my Control01 the description that i want to have.

If you need any extra informations I can give you my scene or more screenshots.
I hope a better workaround or a fix will be found any time soon !

Cheers

I had similar issues with the Control_01 breaking backwards compatibility, which I posted in another thread.

All my previous Control_01 or EPIC_Controls_01 nurbs controls had the extension control, I don’t think there was ever a tab for “Ctl Description Name” in previous versions. This has been added in 4.2. Reading the code, if _ctl or ctl is found in this new field, it’s removed. So, my fix was to add “control” as the new description. Then it also does some code to remove errant "" from the resulting names based on the rules. But that has a bug, I posted the fix in the channel.

However, the shoulder control also needs this new field to maintain backwards compatibility so I have to modify the component to add the new ctl_names_description = ["control"] class variable and then update my guides.

1 Like

Yes, I think it’s not very clean to check for raw strings inside the code, because mgear could get the description name inside the component (if not empty), or inside the guide node settings instead. That would be a better option in my opinion. But overriding components code may be risky because you can loose your changes on the next update of mgear. Maybe creating a new component could be a better option, or submit the fix directly to the dev team ?

By the way, it seems that the problem happens on more components :
If you merge the Game Biped Template (Y-Up) and you apply those settings i’ve send in the first comment, then you will have the following controlers :
That’s a little bit more annoying because shoulders controls (for exemple) doesn’t have any description tab so we can’t fix that by just customizing “ctl” to any other name.
Same for meta.

Edit : I’ve found a better fix !
in the file shifter\component\__init__.py i added this short code :
That prevents of having underscores at the last character of the control name.

1 Like

This doesn’t hard code it, because just by defining the class attribute
The “ctl_names_description” tab appears magically for you to put any name you want as your description.

1 Like