Home Website Youtube GitHub

controlBuffer have no shapes

As a temporary workaround you can mirror using “left to right”. Then delete all the control buffers. Then extract the control shapes from the “rig_controllers_grp”. Should be good to go

@Miquel just want to add to the ticket. For some reason (haven’t found the source yet, might relate to the original problem), but sometimes when mirroring “left to right” or even on multiple selection, it doesn’t seem to mirror all the shapes. It also creates an empty null group. Had a fix now, by extracting the controls as is, rebuilding the rig then retrying the mirror.

If it is doing that, there is a very high chance you should be seeing some errors in the script output. If so, please share the error.

Sometimes if a certain attribute can’t be copied or connected, it fails. I’ve even noticed this if I have isolate selected turned on, because then it fails somehow on the connection to the selection set. (Or something similar.)

@chrislesage these are the last few lines

# File “C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2023\Python\lib\site-packages\pymel\internal\pmcmds.py”, line 217, in connectAttr_wrapped
*# res = new_cmd(*new_args, *new_kwargs)
# RuntimeError: The attribute ‘MayaNodeEditorSavedTabsInfo.tabGraphInfo[0].nodeInfo[896].dependNode’ cannot be connected to ‘head_C2_ctl2Shape.message’.
#

Yeah that’s similar to what I meant.

@Miquel I think this should be considered a bug, what do you think? I don’t exactly know how to reproduce. But it seems if nodes are connected to things like sets, or views, it can cause these attribute connections to fail, even if the connections have nothing to do directly with the control icon’s parameters. (I wonder if that can be filtered by connection type somehow. Or explicitly choose which attributes/connections to transfer.)

2 Likes

@chrislesage yes! big bug! :sweat_smile:
I have added the comment about the attr connection issue in the same ticket

@Mands thanks for the feedback

1 Like

Thank you both! Also compliments on the Mgear framework in general :smile:

Hello !
I was wondering why my controllers in “controllers_org” broke at some point. But i’ve found that when I use the tool Rigbits > Mirror Control Shape, and I check on “Left to Right”, then half of my stored controllers break.

Before :

After :

1 Like

This is a known issue, so I’m merging the topics.

Bug is filed here: https://github.com/mgear-dev/mgear4/issues/174

Yes, using anything other than mirror selection breaks the shapes. Delete the empty curves and re-mirror using selection to fix them.

2 Likes

I experienced this bug today. How big a deal is the attr connection part of the bug? If the connections aren’t made will it break the rig? So far it seems ok but I don’t know what those connections actually affect.