Home Website Youtube GitHub

Convert c++ plugs to bifrost?

Howdy all,

I’ve yet to use mGear but have been poking around a bit. I think the big hangup for me is the proprietary solvers and nodes. I’d be curious if the current custom nodes could find an equivalent in Bifrost. Could make delivery of rigs less of a headache as far as telling vendors they need to install a plugin.

-Blake

Hello @blake

I prefer the maintainability of C++ vs nodal graphs (Talking from Softimage ICE experience).
Also, I have concerns about the speed. Bifrost is fast, but moving the data between Bifrost and Maya has is bottlenecks. (as far I know)
But I think can be interesting to have an alternative, sadly I am stretched very thin these days. Are you interested to help test and implement this?

A side note here is that Bifrost is a plugin and some updates break back compatibility. Also, the starting times are long for Maya when you load it.

PS: you can create components that don’t need the solvers. That is a design choice. Here is an old example.https://gist.github.com/miquelcampos (Probably not working with the latest mGear )

I see your point. It is still a plugin, albeit one that ships with Maya. I’m sure your stretched QUITE thin with the projects you juggle. If I make any progress looking into it, I’ll check back in for sure.

Thanks for the response!

-Blake

1 Like

Thanks to you @blake Is always cool to hear and try new ideas :smiley: