Home Website Youtube GitHub

Creating a VRChat avatar rig using mGear

I’m looking to rig a humanoid VRChat avatar using mGear in Maya.
I’m not sure if using mGear for VRChat avatars is feasible, as there are very few tutorials or resources available online.

I was wondering if anyone here has experience with this or knows of any good learning resources.

Thanks everyone!

Hi, I don’t know anything about VRChat specifically. But I have used mGear to deliver Shifter rigs that were used in VR and mobile projects.

mGear is a full framework, so you can adjust it to your needs. Shifter is the rig, and you can also adjust it to your needs, including making custom rig components, or altering the rig with Python scripts when building.

For me, I made a Python post-process that made a secondary lower-joint skinning skeleton that basically just followed the full rig control skeleton. And only the light skeleton gets skinned to the geometry and then anim-baked and exported as an asset to your engine.

Doing that, you have full control over joint count, naming convention, etc.