Home Website Youtube GitHub

Editing many guides at once

I recently made a bunch of simple controls on a face by creating many control_01 guides. Unfortunately, I found that I could not easily update the settings for many guides at once. This turned out to be a big pain point as I had to keep hitting my hotkey to bring up the settings window for each guide. Likewise, duplicate symmetry does not seem to work on many guides at once either. Is there a better way to edit many guides at once? Is there a better guide to use for a bunch of free-floating controls on a face?

I believe you can adjust most if not all guide settings via attribute spread sheet.
You can even adjust the component type attr for some components. In that case; you must run the guide update from the mgear menu.

1 Like

And since they are attributes, you are also free to change and edit them with scripts. (You just have to be careful to put valid data inside the attribute values. The GUI helps manage that. If you change the comp_name in the attribute, it will NOT automatically update the name of the guide’s node. But changing stuff like .joint or .uniScale is safe.)

And yes, you cannot duplicate symmetry on many guides at once. It’s to avoid complex interdependencies and name-clashes while duplicating.

But for example, if you have a large amount of control_01 guides, you could parent them under one single control_01 guide. Duplicate symmetry that, and then unparent them again.

1 Like

Thank you for the quick responses! This is very helpful.

Also worth mentioning that all the functions for mirroring, renaming, changing attributes and so on are available in the Shifter Python module and are pretty scripting-friendly!

3 Likes