Home Website Youtube GitHub

Finger component

I’ve written a very simple finger component based on chain_01 that adds a curl attribute rotating all digits in the -z axis. The attribute name is chosen uniquely so that multiple fingers can be attached to the same UI control.

Would there be interest in my sharing this upstream?

3 Likes

Is this attribute adding to the current finger control rotation value? Or is it overwriting it? The experience I had with animators in the past was that they did prefer to handle their curves individually, so a ‘Curl’ attribute did not really add value to a rig. But, of course, not all animators think the same.

Just my two cents :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It adds an extra SDK group above each control with the z rotation driven by the curl attribute.

If you are going to contribute it as a component, may I suggest using remapValue nodes rather than driven keys?

remapValue nodes evaluate a tiny bit faster. They will also never show up in the animator’s graph editor under any circumstances. (Who knows? Someone might select an entire hierarchy. There seems to be a lot of beginners who use mGear as well.)

I also had a weird production issue once where all the driven keys in a referenced rig ended up having null information. The keyframe nodes existed, but no keys! So everything collapsed to zero. The rig file appeared fine. It’s a super rare bug, but remapValue would definitely be more stable and tamper-proof.

3 Likes

I meant to say “driven groups” instead of “SDK groups” - the implementation just uses multDoubleLinear to scale the rotation. But those are very good tips and I will make an effort to avoid using actual SDKs inside rig components.

1 Like