Home Website Youtube GitHub

Fundraising Campaign to buy a Macbook for mGear development

The number of mGear users has been growing fast in the last year. Many of you are using Macbooks. In order to give support to Mac OS users, early this year I have bought a second hand old Mac Mini. But sadly it is not enough to give proper support since many of the issues are coming from the retina display resolution.

So I have decided to get a Macbook for this purpose. But this time I would like to ask for help to pay it. :slight_smile:

Please donate if you can. Also if you are using mGear in a Studio please ask your boss to donate :wink:

I don’t expect covering all the expenses but any help is welcome :smiley:

The campaign will be active until the end of November.

Depending on the donations I will get a Macbook Pro or Macbook Air with the Apple extended warranty. Ideally, a machine that can last as much as possible for development (cough* cough* if Apple allow it and don’t change all with the new ARM machines :stuck_out_tongue: )

Also, I would like to ask you to help spread the Fundraising Campaign on social networks like Twitter or Facebook.

Thanks!
Miquel

5 Likes

The fundraising campaign was a total success! I didn’t expect all the support received :purple_heart: :blue_heart: :green_heart: :yellow_heart: :orange_heart: :heart:

BIG THANKS to all the people who donated

some of your comments on the donation page were hilarious :rofl: :heart:

in total, we have raised ¥159,288
the Macbook air + Apple care has been ordered with a total cost of ¥190,960

After watching a ton of youtube reviews and articles. I have decided to go for the new Macbook Air with the M1 chip because of the keyboard without a touch bar and the fanless design. It should be enough since I will not do render or heavy processing tasks. Just coding and eventually compiling C++.
Some people already tested Blender and Maya on it. And looks like it performs incredibly well.
I hope it lasts many many years

This is the configuration:

hardware:

• Apple M1 chip with 8-core CPU, 8-core GPU, 16-core Neural Engine
  • 16GB unified memory
  • 512GB SSD storage

I will do a video for the youtube channel when it arrives. Not unboxing :wink: but at less a decent test on Maya for everybody curious about the new M1.

7 Likes

That is great news @Miquel! I was too late to donate. Is there still some way to donate to the MacBook or the mGear project in general?

1 Like

Thanks @Torben_Sottrup

You can buy any of my tutorials :wink:

1 Like

Ah yes! Done! - thank you and the rest of the mgear team for all the great work on mgear :slight_smile:

1 Like