Home Website Youtube GitHub

How Do i Extract All Controls at once?

Ive been making a few rigs now i wanted to know if there’s a more efficient way to extract controls. Its my understanding the common way if to do them one by one.

If theres a way to extract them all at once and/or a way to have them scale with the guide nodes i’d really appreciate the help.

Pardon the strong reaction, but why in the world would you extract them one by one?! Where did you learn that this was “common”? :sob:

Select all transforms of *_ctl and run the command once.

“Select by name” *_ctl in the top menu.

Or run pm.select(pm.ls("*_ctl", type="transform"))

Or use the controllers selection set.

Or if you are eunning the extract command through Python, pass all the controls as a list as an argument.

2 Likes

And the python is like so.

pm.select("*_ctl")
                import mgear.shifter.guide_manager as gm
                gm.extract_controls()
3 Likes

Thanks! By the way, I just checked and for some reason extract_controls doesn’t take an argument. That would be a nice modification, so you don’t have to select first. It would be nice if you could do gm.extract_controls(yourControlsList)

If i run the command* ( the button on the shifter guide ) once after selecting everything all it ever does is turn all the controls into empty groups deleting my progress :frowning: other times it doesn’t do anything at all

i dont really understand why.

as far as the common thing, "all the turials i saw at the time only every did stuff one by one, plus the bug i just mentioned so yeah its been trained into me :grimacing:

What button? Can you show a screenshot of what you mean? This doesn’t sound right, and maybe there is a solution.

this button

1 Like

Ok thanks!

I’ll take a look soon and see if there are any bugs here. I didn’t even know that button was there. I always use the mgear menu command. I assume it’s the same command, but maybe not.

Just to make sure though, you are selecting controllers, right? Not guides?

Next time you try, can you please check the script editor and see if it gave you any errors? Maybe you are selecting something that is causing an error, and the command never finishes.

There is hope!

Yeah im selecting only the controls.
And No errors as far as i see, :thinking: it made some null folders but its not a consistent thing. Sometimes it’s a lot of them sometimes its one or two.

The python script seems to work consistently, which is even more weird to me 🫠