Home Website Youtube GitHub

IK arm not functioning properly

I am having an issue where after I build my rig, the IK arm doesn’t stay in place when I move my COG around, instead it follows along as if it were an FK system.

I followed the YouTube “Data Centric Rigging” tutorial when building it. My arm_2jnt_02 has the armUI_LO_root as its host and the IK reference array has shoulder_LO_root, COG_CO_root, Global_CO_root. as is the case in the tutorial. (I have also attempted to mimic the default Biped template for the IK reference array but neither worked)

The only thing I am not certain about is a warning when building.
// Warning: pymel.core.general : Could not create desired MFn. Defaulting to MFnDagNode. //
I read a prior thread mentioning that it shouldn’t be causing issues, but I just wanted to double check.
(As was in the prior thread, I am also using ngSkintools and not DeltaMush. The only other addition I have plugged in is the ACES colour space.)

Is there any issue in how I built the rig that would result in the IK arm not functioning properly?

On your built rig, on the armUI_L0_ctl, what is “Ik Ref” or .arm_ikref set to?

The IK Ref for my handUI is the shoulder.

Your ik arm is set to follow the shoulder. The rig is functioning properly.

If you want it to not follow the COG, you have to set it to a controller above the COG, like your world control.

1 Like

Ah, I see. Thank you very much.