Home Website Youtube GitHub

IK chains- Chain Ends Follow Main Root

I am want to make a monster with tentacles (Like an octopus) and I am using Chain_IK_spline_variable_FK_01

The tentacles are children of the “pelvis” (center of mass) but all of the controls of the chain follow the “pelvis” 100%. I only want the ik0 control to follow the pelvis and the rest to follow the root. (So I can move the body of the monster and leave the legs planted)

I do not see any controls in the setting to set the follow space of the IK controls of the chain.

Is it possible to set these chain controls with different parent space? (like an IK foot or hand)

Not every component has all the settings you’ll need to achieve every custom thing you’ll want. Sometimes you’re going to need to use post Python scripts, or make your own custom or cloned components.

In this case, without seeing enough to know for sure, maybe it would be easier to put your Chain_IK under the root instead. And then it would be simpler to have a post Python script that constrains the ik0 to the pelvis. Rather than the reverse of trying to change all the lower controls.

It doesn’t appear like it has space switch options. Perhaps you could consider making control_01 components at the position of each IK control. Put the space switches on the control_01 nodes. And then - again in a post script - constrain the spline IK controls to those control_01 nodes. And hide the IK ones, remove the _ctl name, and remove them from any controller sets.

I have no idea if that would interfere with the behaviour of the rig, as I’m not familiar with this component. But it looks like the hierarchy of the IK controls is pretty basic, so it might work.

1 Like