Home Website Youtube GitHub

IK/FK Blend Host on an arm module

Hello, I have a somewhat specific question.

Has anyone ever tried to make the FK/IK wrist control/module serve as the host for the IK/FK switch?

I understand that adding a host in various types of modules is straightforward, but in this case, I’m interested in making the selected controller - such as the wrist control in both IK and FK modes—the primary host. It might sound unusual, but I think it would be beneficial if the main controller that animators are using also contains the attributes they want to modify.

I’ve tested the arm modules and I cannot add the host to “itself” and I understand why but I am opened for ideas and suggestions.

This way, animators wouldn’t need to switch back and forth between different controllers just to make adjustments via attributes in the channel box. Instead, everything they need would be right there on the controller they’re already working with. This is something I am curious about.

Thank you!

I know it would be convenient, but you are probably going to lose 5 to 15 FPS (in my own tests) by storing the attribute anywhere on the limb that it is switching. Even parenting a separate hostUI control under the limb has that effect.

I don’t recommend it.

1 Like

Hi, thanks for letting me know! I wasn’t aware.

You could always test it though! I haven’t tested these things since Maya 2019 or 2020 at most.

From memory, I think if you turn on “proxy attributes”, it will automatically put the switch on all the relevant limb controls. But proxy attributes are something I 100% avoid too, because they were very buggy in Maya 2019, and also polluted the graph editor with a confusing mess. I doubt Autodesk improved them.

So I dunno… I use hostUI controls, and I try to put them in a convenient location, parented under a main COG control. The right-click menu can select the hostUI. The Anim Picker can have a switch button. You could even map the switches to a shelf or hotkey or something.

2 Likes