Home Website Youtube GitHub

IK/FK Match on Metahuman Leg Broken?

Howdy Folks,

There seems to be a strange pop when you IK/FK Match the legs on the metahuman after you use the foot roll. (mGear 4.03)

Is this a known issue or am I doing something wrong or is fixed in the new version?

Thanks!

Has anyone had a chance to take a look at this? Kind of stuck :frowning:

Thanks!

Is there any more info you can give?

• Did you test this in any other versions of mGear? Is it just 4.03?
  • Did you test this on other rigs? Is it just this scene, or does it happen if you make a clean fresh template MetaHuman?
  • Can you share a simple guide + rig to look at?

I know in the classic Shifter arm components, I sometimes have to make sure that my elbow and wrist only have translation in one axis (down the chain), and one rotation. If I shift the elbow out-of-plane with translation, it can mess up the wrist orientation, and then the IK/FK can pop. Maybe you can make sure your leg is more planar.

Also in the Shifter components in the built-rig, I also know I have had to some *_mth nodes and align them to match certain nodes. Sometimes they weren’t quite aligned with their controllers. And those nodes (as far as I know) are used to find the correct orientation when switching.

(If that was the problem you might see that the _mth nodes are oriented in about the same angle that your foot pops.)

But I don’t know much about the EPIC components yet. I haven’t used them except for quick tests.

This happens on the Epic Metahuman template / example file that comes with mGear. if you just load and generate the rig it does it off the bat. (mgear 4.03)

I also just created the EpicLeg with the EpicFoot in a brand new file i have the same issue. I created the leg as straight as i can and i only did one rotation. with the foot_C0_roll_ctl or foot_C0_heel_ctl.
i will include a link to said file :slight_smile:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vD2aEJgig-n5vlaEiGgN8bRsPaym_2hP/view?usp=sharing

The Ik/Fk matching works as long as you have NO rotations on :

foot_C0_bk0_ctl
foot_C0_bk1_ctl
foot_C0_heel_ctl
foot_C0_roll_ctl

But the second you touch one of the above controls. you get the popping issue in the above clips.

If you rotate the FK controls and switch to to Ik. that works just fine.

Am i doing something wrong? or are those controllers not meant to be used in hopes of IK FK matching ?

1 Like

I’ll try to look soon. This sounds like a bug, and I am sure there is a fix that can be found.

This might be the related issue:

FK/IK match for leg + foot · Issue #45 · mgear-dev/mgear_core · GitHub

In the meantime, you could consider downgrading to 3.7.11. That’s still the version I work with in production, and it seems to IK/FK match fine on your example rig. Or you could compare the code between the two and try to fix it yourself, if scripting is your thing.

I’m not sure what changed between versions that would cause the difference.

1 Like

The issue was to add other features.
But I will check this ASAP. Thanks for the feedback!!
I have created a new ticket

2 Likes