Home Website Youtube GitHub

IK Foot Orientation at Bind Pose

Hi,

It doesn’t seem to matter how I manipulate the guides, the foot control “leg_L0_ik_ctl” is always aligned facing forwards (shown in red in the attached picture). Is there a way the local orientation can be in line with the foot (hilighted in green, and would coincide with the FK foot alignmentat bind pose)?

1 Like

Hello @rampant.animator that is expected and oriented in world space by desing.
You will need to create your own componet version/variant to support this option

1 Like

Or (carefully) adjust it with a Post Python script.

If you do that, you might also have to align any _mth nodes or _ref nodes, which I think are the nodes that are used to align the controls when IK/FK switching, or space-switching.

1 Like

Can I know why there is an option that allows to leave the orientation “local” on the “leg_3jnt_01” control and not on those used for a standard leg?

It would be useful, because it forces us to model the characters in a specific and very rigid pose.

Another thing I was wondering… Why does the foot controller follow the orientation of the leg even though the guides are straight?

Well, I don’t know if you’ll get a satisfying answer to “why”. That’s the way the component was coded. And it’s open source, so you can modify it.

If you want to modify it, I suggest copying the component into a custom folder and adding MGEAR_SHIFTER_COMPONENT_PATH = P:/your/path/here/customComponents

Or better for the community, you can modify the component and submit it as a PR in Github.

Otherwise, the best bet might be to write one feature request per feature in a separate thread in the Feature Request category, so it doesn’t get lost.

For me, I often choose just to use post Python scripts to fix up some issues I have.

1 Like