I would sincerely request developers to make a step by step video or else a guide on how to install mgear into mac os. It is very much difficult to understand the partial guide given on the forum. Please help to understand and install mgear in mac os, it would make life easier for people like us.
Thanks for the best work provided by you
Actually, Miquel did write a guide! http://www.mgear-framework.com/mgear_dist/quickStart.html
You need to have the solvers for your version of Maya. And in the latest release 3.5.0 and 3.5.1, they all appear to be included for every version of Maya, which is great! If you need to use an older version of mGear, you can still download the latest release and grab the solvers from there.
You might have to run a command to fix security restrictions on MacOS Catalina. And this is explained right on the releases page.
You have to specify the path to the solvers.
sudo xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine /PATH/TO/THE/MGEAR/SOLVERS/DIRECTORY/
- If you are stuck on the installation procedure, this is my favourite way to install. You can put the mGear folder directly in your Maya modules directory, or you can specify your modules directory in your Maya.env file, and use any directory on your computer or production server.
- Download the release from the releases page. Unzip that folder somewhere where it is accessible to your production, your animators, etc.
- Edit your Maya.env file in your Maya preferences, for every user who needs mGear.
- Add these lines:
IMPORTANT: I just noticed. In older versions of mGear, you would point this path to /mgear_3.0.5. But now the module is under a “release” folder, so you have to point to that folder. Notice the /mgear_3.5.1/release/ on the end of my MAYA_MODULE_PATH
MAYA_MODULE_PATH = /production/tools/mgear_3.5.1/release # A path where you will store all your PRE and POST Python scripts: MGEAR_SHIFTER_CUSTOMSTEP_PATH = /production/tools/scripts/build
Thank you for your response, tried all these steps provided by you but still cannot install mgear
If you’d like some further help, please list the exact steps you did take, and the version of Maya you are using, and I’ll try and see what happened.
- Which version of mGear did you download?
- Did you put the “release” folder in the modules folder, or did you use Maya.env? If you used Maya.env copy/paste the text from that file.
- Copy paste the command you ran for the quarantine. Are you on MacOS Catalina?
- Are you seeing any errors, or does mGear just not show up in the top Maya menu?