Home Website Youtube GitHub

Install mgear in mac os

Hello everyone,
I would sincerely request developers to make a step by step video or else a guide on how to install mgear into mac os. It is very much difficult to understand the partial guide given on the forum. Please help to understand and install mgear in mac os, it would make life easier for people like us.
Thanks for the best work provided by you

Actually, Miquel did write a guide! http://www.mgear-framework.com/mgear_dist/quickStart.html

1. You need to have the solvers for your version of Maya. And in the latest release 3.5.0 and 3.5.1, they all appear to be included for every version of Maya, which is great! If you need to use an older version of mGear, you can still download the latest release and grab the solvers from there.

2. You might have to run a command to fix security restrictions on MacOS Catalina. And this is explained right on the releases page.

You have to specify the path to the solvers.
sudo xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine /PATH/TO/THE/MGEAR/SOLVERS/DIRECTORY/

1. If you are stuck on the installation procedure, this is my favourite way to install. You can put the mGear folder directly in your Maya modules directory, or you can specify your modules directory in your Maya.env file, and use any directory on your computer or production server.
  • Download the release from the releases page. Unzip that folder somewhere where it is accessible to your production, your animators, etc.
  • Edit your Maya.env file in your Maya preferences, for every user who needs mGear.
  • Add these lines:

IMPORTANT: I just noticed. In older versions of mGear, you would point this path to /mgear_3.0.5. But now the module is under a “release” folder, so you have to point to that folder. Notice the /mgear_3.5.1/release/ on the end of my MAYA_MODULE_PATH

MAYA_MODULE_PATH = /production/tools/mgear_3.5.1/release
# A path where you will store all your PRE and POST Python scripts:
MGEAR_SHIFTER_CUSTOMSTEP_PATH = /production/tools/scripts/build

mgear_installation

2 Likes

Hello sir,
Thank you for your response, tried all these steps provided by you but still cannot install mgear

If you’d like some further help, please list the exact steps you did take, and the version of Maya you are using, and I’ll try and see what happened.

• Which version of mGear did you download?
  • Did you put the “release” folder in the modules folder, or did you use Maya.env? If you used Maya.env copy/paste the text from that file.
  • Copy paste the command you ran for the quarantine. Are you on MacOS Catalina?
    etc.
  • Are you seeing any errors, or does mGear just not show up in the top Maya menu?
2 Likes

Hi, I am also having trouble installing mGear 3.6 (on a MacOS Mojave). I’ve tried copying the release folder into the modules folder and mGear doesn’t show up in Maya. I’m wondering if I have to setup the modules folder in maya first? I have never used the modules folder before and just created one.

I’d appreciate any help!

Hello @madisonakemi

Welcome to the forum.
Could I please ask you to take a minute and letting us know what version of Maya you’re using and if you could take a print screen of Maya’s script editor after a Maya restart this will already helps us to get going.

Cheers

Hi, you need to put all the things that are inside the release folder in the modules folder. Not the release folder itself.

Also please specify the exact path where you made your modules folder. As far as I knew, it should already exist in your preferences folder. I’m surprised you had to make one. But if you do need to create the folder, it should still work.

This is my example path for Maya 2018:
/Users/chrislesage/Library/Preferences/Autodesk/maya/2018/modules

1 Like

Also whoops, I think my advice at the top of this thread is wrong. In one thread I mentioned the contents of release need to be in the modules folder. But in this thread, and my screenshot, I said the release folder.

I’ll fix my screenshot. But if you are using Maya.env to define MAYA_MODULE_PATH, you can point to the release folder. ie. whatever folder the .mod file is in. That is to say, the .mod file needs to be directly in your module path.

Sorry for the confusion!

mgear_installation

1 Like

Thank you for your help! I was able to do it using Maya.env :slight_smile:

2 Likes