Home Website Youtube GitHub

Lag/Slow frame rate on MetaHuman mGear rig

Hello! Thanks for all the work you do on mGear. It’s really helped our workflow and we’ve started integrating it into our pipeline.

Our MetaHuman rig (a clean build from EPIC MetaHuman Template, Z-up) works amazingly on the body, but we’re getting really low frame rate in Maya when we attempt to move the face controls that came with MetaHuman from Quixel Bridge. It’s going down to 2 fps in Maya’s viewport.

This only seems to happen after building the mGear rig. Before that, the face rig is super smooth. And once we’ve built the mGear rig, it’s only the face that has issues, the body doesn’t suffer from the same low frame rate, I seem to get around 40 fps when moving mGear body controls.

Does anyone have any ideas what I might be doing wrong? I’m using Maya 2022 and mGear 4.0.7

I have a feeling this isn’t directly related to mGear or MetaHuman specifically.

First step, can you try to use the profiler tools to try and isolate what node(s) are taking the most calculation?

Sometimes you can’t see which nodes. But sometimes it is very obvious.

Sometimes you just have to reparent something that doesn’t need to be transforming, because it will force extra calculations for no good reason. (If you’re moving an entire face rig, and there are skinned elements or other deformers in that group, you might have to remove that connection, and only drive the necessary controls. For example.)

There is no short answer without looking at your file. It depends on your rig. But there is this course which can teach completely how to diagnose and fix these bottlenecks: https://ondemand.riggingdojo.com/OptimizingRigsforParallelEvaluation

2 Likes

Ah I see that makes sense. Thankyou for your suggestions! I’ll investigate some more and post if I find anything ^^
Also thanks for the course link! It’s exaclty the knowledge I’m lacking, will take a look.