Home Website Youtube GitHub

Leg_3jnt_01 unwanted stretchiness

For a project I need a solid quadruped setup, for which the 3jnt seems to be the logical hind leg solution. I already notice some issues mentioned on this forum. I also have one.

It is important to me (and the future animators) to not have any form of squash and stretch. If I turn this of (by setting stretch to 1) I still experience local stretch when one of these controllers are translated:

legBack_L0_ankle_ctl
legBack_L0_knee_ctl

The ankle even produces very weird non-uniform scaling on the bones (shearing?).
I use the rotational plane method because the spring-option gives a faulty bone-chain which does not follow the guide. Both methods generate the stretch/shear.

Is this a bug or am I using it the wrong way?

Cheers
Michiel

1 Like

If you select the “guide” group and open the shifter settings, there’s an option to “force uniform scaling for all joints.” It may solve the problem.

1 Like

Hello @mackerB

That controls are offset controls. If you want to avoid the animators touch it, just block and hide the channels . You can also hide the Shape of the controls to avoid any confusion to the animators.

for the uniform scaling try with the recommendation from @Aerys

I hope this helps :slight_smile:

Cheers,
Miquel

Hi @Aerys and @Miquel. Thank you for your answer.
Checking the ‘force uniform scaling’ did not change the behavior, it still stretches the hind lower leg. The stretching happens by translation, while squashscaling inwards.

I could hide those offset controls but when one rotates through the ‘legBack_L0_roll_ctl’ or the ‘legBack_L0_ik_ctl’ the leg length out of range, the lower leg starts to stretch automatically. This also happens when translating the ‘legBack_L0_ik_ctl’. We work with a ziva-system so in no way the bones should be allowed to separate.

If you would be able to guide me to a way to avoid this I would be much obliged…
Cheers
Michiel

is the connector in the foot is set to the corresponding leg component?

Yes, it does:

@mackerB can you send me the guide in a PM?

I would like to check the configuration.

In the quadruped template doesn’t stretch

I used Leg_3jnt_01 in my recent project.
These two controllers “legBack_L0_ankle_ctl” and “legBack_L0_knee_ctl” are locked and hided in my rig .
Maybe you can check “Stretch” value setting. It should be 0 to avoid stretching.