Home Website Youtube GitHub

Lupin III: The First

Now that the cat is out of the bag, I guess it’s OK to share it here :slight_smile:

Lupin the III: The First was done using mGear. :smiley::smiley::smiley:

The production was done at Marza Animation Planet, and this movie was the latest project that I did in Marza (Indeed, I keep working giving technical assistance for a few month more after I left). I was in charge to develop the facial rigging system, the facial rig for Lupin and Letitia and give support for mGear in general. The heavy-lift was done by the Marza’s rigging team.

I was trying to get permission to post some screen captures of the rigs. But it looks like is more complex than I initially thought. If I finally get it I will post it here.

For the moment if you can read Japanese or just interested in the pictures. CGWOLRD Magazine did an amazing report about the production. In the magazine there is some pictures of the rigs

You can get the magazine in Amazon:

More info here:

Also, next week key members from the production will be talking in this podcast. I hope they show some behind the scenes. Don’t miss it!

Cheers,
Miquel

10 Likes

Congratulation. This is really cool!

Badass. Those faces are amazing and super expressive.

Next Step --> port the face rig to mGear.

2 Likes

CgWorld posted more information. With some pictures of the facial rig.

@oglu it is already mGear :wink: but the picker in the image is MG picker

4 Likes

Congrats Miquel, very awesome work

1 Like

fantastic Miquel. congratulations. it’s a great achievement.

The MG Picker author feels proud of being part of this project.Maybe he’ll show up here personally :grin:

1 Like

Such great work. This really captures the spirit of the source material.

The characters are so expressive, there is so much to be proud of. You’ve really earned it and been so generous with the community.

Full article about the production:

3 Likes

Wow congrats Miquel!

1 Like

Thanks @tomflav and Happy new year!

are the tools used for lupin built into mgear already?

I guess the answer is yes and not. All the tools are already in mGear to the exception of the Picker the used that is MG Picker.
For the facial even based in mGear framework have a lot of custom_steps that are custom, but using mGear framework to build it :wink:

1 Like

@Miquel, Lupin is my favorite animated character and it is so cool to see it rigged with mGear! That’s huge :smiley: Congrats!

1 Like

How do i navigate to this Article?
I cant solve that riddle.

That twitter link was split in two, I think. One to the article, and one to the hashtag. I believe this is the link: https://tutorials.cgworld.jp/con/935 (although that link seems to be about a course…? Not sure.)

1 Like

Yes, it is a lecture that will be done by my former supervisor. He will be showing how we did the rigs for the movie.

“Lupin III: The First” is distributed in North America by GKIDS. The film is playing in select cinemas in the U.S. and Canada for two nights only: October 18 (dubbed) and 21 (subtitled). It will be available on digital download-to-own on December 15, and on steelbook, Blu-ray, and dvd on January 12.

4 Likes

cartoonbrew interview with Skamoto-san and Akagi-san :smiley:

3 Likes