Home Website Youtube GitHub

Mgear 2.5.24 issues

hi,

i have mgear 2.5.24 installed and running in some weird issues…

1. when building with “classic channel names…” the synoptic wont work in some fields, like ik/fk switching for arms and legs, shoulder, ik pos, upv pos, etc…
    without “classic channel names…” synoptic will work, but then when using more than two chain_springs (i.e. ear_L, ear_R), the attributes only building for one chain_spring.
    maybe it would be better to have the “classic channel name…” option on a per component basis…

2. often i cant rename components names, they remain as on creation time…or mgear will rename them like “arm_L0_L1_root”…

3. often when getting the hostUI objects or ikRef objects they appear like “guide|global_root|spine_C0_root|…|…|”

4. when animating the “spring chain intensity” and doing a bake with the “synoptic baker”, the result is broken…only when doing a “bake simulation” on the plot-group, the result is as expected, but then no unbake is possible…

Hi!

The synoptic channel names are configured to work with the default biped template configuration. So is not working with classic names

The main difference is that classic names have the name of the component included, so all channels under the same UIHost have unique names.
Please check this video for more info about channels:

You need to edit the synoptic to adapt it to your channels names.
Maybe this video is also helpful:

This happen sometimes is a known issue. But at less to me is very rare(Less that 1 time every few months). The guides use the names and parse it to find the parts and rename. If this fail at less is easy to debug just with a simple search.
I didn’t fix it because I didn’t found the way to reproduce it.

I guess this is because your guide or scene have duplicated names. And maybe this is related with the previous issue. Can you provide a sample scene?

I will check this issue. I have logged it here: https://github.com/miquelcampos/mgear/issues/222

Cheers,
Miquel

clean install

If I open up the shifter and create a leg_2jnt_01 it can’t build, giving the locked connection error, the other leg type works fine though,
I don’t have another machine to test it on at the moment but there is a scale constraint leg_C0_tws2_loc_scaleConstraint1 on that node that is then trying to get scale connected to it, giving the attribute locked error maybe?

GEAR version : 2.5.24

= SHIFTER RIG SYSTEM ==============================================

= GUIDE VALIDATION ==============================================
Checking guide
Get options
Get controllers
Get components
leg_C0 (leg_2jnt_01)
Find recursive in [ 0:00:00.051000 ]
Get parenting for: leg_C0
Guide loaded from hierarchy in [ 0:00:00.054000 ]

= BUILDING RIG ==============================================
Initial Hierarchy
Init : leg_C0 (leg_2jnt_01)
Objects : leg_C0 (leg_2jnt_01)
Properties : leg_C0 (leg_2jnt_01)
Operators : leg_C0 (leg_2jnt_01)

Error: setAttr: The attribute ‘leg_C0_tws2_loc.scaleX’ is locked or connected and cannot be modified.

Traceback (most recent call last):

File “C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2016\Python\lib\site-packages\pymel\internal\factories.py”, line 785, in callback

res = origCallback(*newargs)

File “C:\Users\bclark\Documents\maya\mGear\scripts\mgear\maya\shifter\gui.py”, line 166, in buildFromSelection

rg.buildFromSelection()

File “C:\Users\bclark\Documents\maya\mGear\scripts\mgear\maya\shifter_init_.py”, line 136, in buildFromSelection

self.build()

File “C:\Users\bclark\Documents\maya\mGear\scripts\mgear\maya\shifter_init_.py”, line 162, in build

self.processComponents()

File “C:\Users\bclark\Documents\maya\mGear\scripts\mgear\maya\shifter_init_.py”, line 324, in processComponents

comp.stepMethodsi

File “C:\Users\bclark\Documents\maya\mGear\scripts\mgear\maya\shifter\component_init_.py”, line 138, in step_02

self.addOperators()

File “C:\Users\bclark\Documents\maya\mGear\scripts\mgear\maya\shifter\component\leg_2jnt_01_init_.py”, line 593, in addOperators

self.tws2_loc.setAttr(“sx”, .001)

File “C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2016\Python\lib\site-packages\pymel\core\nodetypes.py”, line 561, in setAttr

return general.setAttr("%s.%s" % (self, attr), *args, **kwargs)

File “C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2016\Python\lib\site-packages\pymel\core\general.py”, line 582, in setAttr

cmds.setAttr(attr, *args, **kwargs)

File “C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2016\Python\lib\site-packages\pymel\internal\pmcmds.py”, line 133, in wrappedCmd

res = new_cmd(*new_args, **new_kwargs)

RuntimeError: setAttr: The attribute ‘leg_C0_tws2_loc.scaleX’ is locked or connected and cannot be modified.

Hey, I just tried building the component you referenced and I receieved no errors. But I am on Maya 2018, I will have to try this on 2016.

1 Like

hi miquel,

thanx a lot for the quick reply…and for this great rigging tool…

yes, i realized that a renaming of attributes can help getting the synopting working again when building with classic channel names…but there are a lot of attributes to rename…(on controllers and ui_hosts)
maybe a post script can help in renaming the attributes, but dont know where to start…can you give some hints?

concerning “classic channel names…” and chain_spring:
i realized that when building more than 2 chain_spring components without “classic channel names” and each has its own ui_host, than the naming in the attributes is on all the same…(called “chain spring”). it does not get the name of the guide component…

I will not recomend to change the channels names. but instead the names on the synoptic using qt designer:

Yes this is how is design, but I agree can be better. In this case, I will recommend to use a post script to change the names.
Hopefully better solution can be implemented in the future, but is not high priority. If you are interested to improve this, contributors are welcome :slight_smile:

i tried to open the designer.exe from maya bin folder, but it wont start, error message…
do i have to download it from somewhere else?

greetings

If I remember correctly was one maya version that was not working. If you have several Maya versions, try with another one.

yes, designer in maya 2017, 2018 dont work, but in maya 2016 works…strange

is there the possibility to use more than the standard widget_color.ui in the building rig tab? lets say i create a biped_channel_name.ui and this appears also in the rig tab on the guide settings page?

never mind…
i found it myself…for those who want to know.

1. copy the biped folder form /…/synoptic/tab and rename it in whatever you want.
  2. edit the widget.ui in qt desiner…
  3. compile widget.ui with mgear.
  4. restart maya, and voila
2 Likes

hi miquel,

i think i have found the issue with the broken baking when animating the spring intensity.
in an old version of mgear there was also an attribute “spring active” which is not generated in the new one.
also this attribute was driving the “pair blend” node.
i corrected the init.py for the spring component to have this attribute, and now “baker” works also with spring_intensity animated…

greetings.

@soulcage oh yes I remember I did change that time ago. I should review it and document it better.

I think this was the issue for the change: https://github.com/mgear-dev/mgear/issues/75

Thanks for the feedback

@bclark I can’t reproduce the error in any machine I have tried.

I am thinking that I will prepare a special version for you with this lines commented out, to check . I will let you know ASAP.

1 Like

for me everythings working after bake…also animating the fk-controllers work, no popping behaviour…

I don’t know what is up with the build, something is funky… I refused to move past 2016 out of spite and protest to the mess of things, I am on the sp6 maybe if I install 2016 Extension 2 Service Pack 1 it will fix something

oh right, extension 1 wasn’t part of the upgrade path… nevermind.

1 Like