Home Website Youtube GitHub

mGear 4.0.0 Beta 1

That’s a bit of a detail to miss… :sweat_smile:

Look inside the platforms folder. Look inside the module .mod file. You’ll see there is no 2023. Which means the module won’t install in Maya 2023. You can attempt to add the 2023 paths to the module. And you will also need to compile the plug-in solvers for Maya 2023.

As of this moment, there is no support for unreleased Maya versions.

If you are going to use beta software (and a beta software inside a beta software at that), you should be willing to roll up your sleeves and do at least a little bit of debugging yourself. Otherwise I simply recommend you do not use Maya or mGear beta versions until they are more tested and complete.

1 Like

Hello Chris,

Yes well I was anxious to test out Mgear on a personal project and after having lost my academic version a couple of years ago I have been content just sticking with the latest Beta as it rolls out and that has been working fine even in regards to plugins annd 3rd party tools until this permanent jump to Python 3 which is the case now.

I also have a personal home license via work, but I have never bothered to set that up as the Beta works fine and has features that I use quite a bit. I guess I’ll just install my work license and see if I can get the ordinary mGear up and running. I am working on personal film that has a lot of characters and I was really hoping to use Mixamo with mGear so that I could have ordinary rigs that can also accept some mocap for quick animation and crowd character uses.

Hello.
I used mGear4.0.0 Beta1 on Maya2022.1.
When I select mGear > Shifter > Guide Manager, I get the following error.

Error: ModuleNotFoundError: file C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2022\Python37\lib\site_packages\shiboken2\files.dir\shibokensupport__ feature__.py line 142: No module named ‘Qt’

So, I modified line 42 of \mgear\vendor\qjsonmodel.py as follows and it now works fine.

from Qt import QtWidgets, QtCore, binding.

from .Qt import QtWidgets, QtCore, binding.

Is there any other better way to handle this?

Hi @usako

It appears you handled it in the same way Miquel did. :wink:

2 Likes

Hello @chrislesage ,
I’m sorry, I missed that.
Thank you for letting me know! :smile:

1 Like

Is there a beta2?
Or did i misinterpreted the post on twitter?

the final release will be in a few days. If you want the beta just grab the latest commit in the master branch on github :wink:

4 Likes

Okay I now have regular Maya 2020 up and run and have installed MGEAR. I think I will stick with that for now!!!

1 Like

Hey everyone! I wanted to give the 4.0 beta a go and I’m having an issue in Maya 2018 - the control rig doesn’t connect to metahuman skeleton after building, it creates a new one instead. I’ve changed the joints extension naming to “drv” and have a default metahuman imported from Quixel Bridge.

Has anyone encountered a similar issue?

[EDIT] I checked and it’s the same on 2020 and 2022.
[EDIT 2] Oh, I see what I missed - changing the naming rule to “{description}{side}_{extension}”. Works like a charm :slight_smile:

2 Likes