Home Website Youtube GitHub

mGear Rigging & Controllers

So I’m quite new to the mGear toolset and rigging, so this is either a request for guidance or a feature suggestion depending, from a “casual” rigger. But a UX problem that I have been having is that if I have to go back and make changes to the guides and rebuild the rig the controllers are reset.

It would be great if there was a way to transfer the controller style changes and size changes, back to the guides so that on a rebuild I wouldn’t have to set up the controllers again.

Also, I’ve been using Zootools Control Creator which has a very nice UI, the only problem is when changing shapes using this tool, the mGear Xray controller feature breaks. It would be cool if that didn’t happen :slight_smile: either a way to reapply that functionality or a similar controller tool in mGear.

Cheers for the awesome tool kit mGear!

okay, so I figured out that the extract controls do allow me to transfer some of the modifications of the controllers to the guides.

This also extracting a rebuilding also seems to sort out the Xray issue.

1 Like

My Maya isn’t opening today after an OS upgrade :grimacing:, but I don’t think xray is an mGear feature. (Unless something was added in the last couple versions.)

Rather, I bet Shifter is just connecting the controllers’ shape visibility/xray attributes to a toggle attribute. And Zootools is just not reconnecting that when it makes a new shape. And when you rebuild, the connection gets made again.

Glad you found the Extract tool.

Cheers Chris for the response, yeah. I did get this issue resolved pretty much.

You’re right yeah that’s what’s going on with the Xray feature.

The extract tool was super useful, knowing I wouldn’t have to rebuild the controllers each time.