Home Website Youtube GitHub

Mgear springnode gravity

its here…

scroll down for the links…

1 Like

Fantastic thank you!

I guess my original concern came down to the fact that adding gravity is the same as simply offsetting the goal position in the spring node to move it downward. But when I thought about it more I realized it’s the correct thing to do.

I added a simple collider effect to the node. You can set a sphere of arbitrary radius to repel the spring and also choose how forceful the collision is. Kinda fun effect!

2 Likes

cool. have to try out…
for collision i thought to use closestPointOnMesh function/node…
there is a simple code for that here

forgot to mention, that if using gravity values more/less than 0, the spring intensity could be set above 1 to compensate the damping effect of the gravity…

1 Like

In my opinion a full mesh collision effect like that kinda tarnishes the beauty of the spring node which is that it is instantaneous. I would keep it to some sort of closed form geometrical collider, like a sphere or capsule. https://www.iquilezles.org/www/articles/distfunctions/distfunctions.htm

Perhaps it would be better to write a new node if you want something with more options? Full mesh collision gets to the point where you might be better off building a simple bullet sim into your rig instead since they can do all kinds of clever stuff to make it fast.

1 Like

just testet.
aerys this is really great!!! works like a charm…
maybe also a plane (ground) collision would be nice…

would it be possible to have more collision positions (array of collision positions)? maybe a lookup for a set (rig collision set) where spheres are inside that the node can pick up?

3 Likes

Same repository as before.

spring_new

3 Likes

ok?
but how is this setuped?
i can only connect one transform in “collider”…

edit: oh just saw that you updated the code to have a list of colliders…and ground plane…thank you so much for providing this…

No problem, thought it was a fun little project and I plan to use it myself.

This looks awesome!
Noob alert: How do you compile that? Should I use scons or cMake or?

Maya 2018.6

Thanks in advance

i compiled it with VS2015 express and win10 SDK 10.0.15063

I went through Cult of Rig tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OcRTtp5Sk8 and compiled that without errors.
I can not load the plugin into Maya though - it’s saying
// Error: file: C:/Program Files/Autodesk/Maya2018/scripts/others/pluginWin.mel line 909: initializePlugin function could not be found in plug-in (SpringBuild) //

so that I added in VS Linker > Command Line > Additional Options

/export:initializePlugin /export:uninitializePlugin

and C/C++ Preprocessor added:
;NT_PLUGIN;REQUIRE_IOSTREAM

but then VS can not compile that giving 3 errors:

Severity	Code	Description	Project	File	Line	Suppression State
Error	LNK2001	unresolved external symbol initializePlugin	SpringBuild	C:\Users\Krzym\Desktop\Solvers\vs4\SpringBuild\SpringBuild\LINK	1	
Error	LNK2001	unresolved external symbol uninitializePlugin	SpringBuild	C:\Users\Krzym\Desktop\Solvers\vs4\SpringBuild\SpringBuild\LINK	1	
Error	LNK1120	2 unresolved externals	SpringBuild	C:\Users\Krzym\Desktop\Solvers\vs4\SpringBuild\x64\Debug\SpringBuild.lib	1	

Thought maybe you will know the answer as I can not google anything helpful.
My setup its VS 15 Win 10 10.0.10586.0

The way I built it was opening a native tools command prompt and running

C:\Python27\Scripts\scons.bat -j8 no-cache=1 x64=1 with-maya=2019 mscver=14.1

1 Like

I can also upstream these features if there’s interest

1 Like

try the sdk version above (10.0.14393). sorry for the wrong sdk version.
and i compiled in release mode…

here my sln…
http://www.soulcage-department.de/Mgear_Solvers_Maya2018_CollisionGravity.zip

(you have to point to the includes and libs on your harddrive…)

4 Likes

Thank you! That was it, tested both ways - on your project and mine and it worked well. Will have to play with it next few days but it’s looking great.
@Miquel any chance to include that to the official release? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Bumping this thread, but I’d enjoy seeing this spring collision solver compiled for new mgear releases or a 2020 version.

1 Like

i will compile it for maya 2020…

but it also needs some modifications on the component scripts as well to get access to the spring node gravity parameters…
(so all in all, it will be a custom mgear…)

3 Likes

Here is a temporary compile I made for myself (Maya 2020 windows):
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1diDkR6R7HedTmREu_Sr9iOONbyxq67sW/view?usp=sharing

I’m not a programmer so this could be absolutely busted. I think it works. I just slapped the spring code onto the current mgear solver code. The old code was missing the matrixconstraint.

1 Like

@soulcage I should find the time to review it and implemented it in the release version :slight_smile:
I have created a ticket

2 Likes