Home Website Youtube GitHub

Mirror/Flip not as useful as it could be

When flipping/mirroring controls the center controls do not flip/mirror.

For example if I rotate the body_C0_Ctrl in Z of 20dgr, if I flip it it should be -20 dgr in z. However when clicking on flip nothing happens.

It looks like bugs to me as the other auto riggers I’ve used did not have this behaviour, as indeed flipping flipped everything, even the controls in the center. Is that something you can add?

Also if I select all the controls and flip nothing happens. instead of at least flipping the controls that are flippable. Can you also add this feature please?

Thanks a lot for mgear, great rigging tool.

Hi @Jeremy sorry for the super late reply.

sometimes you need to configure the channels to be flipped. Each control have a series of custom attributes. You can find it in the attribute editor:

Usually I configure it with a custom step. But in the future should exposed in the component settings.

Also, Maybe, if you flip (not mirror) all controls maybe is double flipping so is same position?

I hope this helps. :slight_smile:
Cheers,
Miquel

Sorry for digging out this old thread.

When I use setInvertMirror function in post script I got “‘str’ object has no attribute ‘setAttr’” error message.

Can you provide an simple example to use this function? Thanks so much!

Hello @Arthur.C

Could you please explain me what is what you are trying to do?
Is it adding the mirror attributes to controls/nodes that you are loocking for and having an issue with or is it the mirror process itself for animation?

Cheers

I have trouble in my rig’s finger IK (using chain01 component) control mirror behavior.
I found that when rotating finger FK , it’s mirror behavior but not in IK mode.
How can I make finger IK to be mirror behavior ? I know there’s invert mirror setting in extra attributes but nothing happened after clicked.
Then I tried “mgear.core.attribute.setInvertMirror” function but failed.( see picture Below )
I’m new to python , thanks so much for the help!

Hey Arthur,

The function expects a dagNode for the first argument instead of a string.

To turn the string into a dagNode you have to use PyMEL like so:

import pymel.core as pm

node = pm.PyNode("thumb_L0_ikcns_ctl")

Then you can use node as a first argument,

lst = ['ty']
mgear.core.attribute.setInvertMirror(node, lst)

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Jeroen,
It worked! Thanks so mush.
But after turn on invert Mirror Ty (for example) , the value still calculate the same way it was.
Did I miss something or the function needed to be turn on before build? (chain01 dose not have mirror option)
Thanks again.

Arthur