Home Website Youtube GitHub

Mirroring Behavior on Controls

Hello. I’m sort of new to mGear and still learning how things work under the hood. I’m having some trouble setting certain controls to mirror their behavior properly. FYI I’m running mGear 3.79.

Specifcally, my client wants to mirror the behavior of shoulder joints on their human characters, so when the shoulders are simultaneously translated vertically or laterally, they move in symmetrically. I can’t find a way to accomplish this.

What I’ve tried so far:

• Checked the guide nodes for a setting to mirror behavior
  • Made an NPO on the shoulder control, rotated 180 degrees, and froze transforms on the control (can’t freeze transforms due to an instanced shape node)
  • Duplicated the control and froze transforms, moved all connections and children to the new control (the whole arm flipped around crazily)
  • Tried the invert attributes under Extra Attributes based on a couple of threads on this forum… but they didn’t seem to do anything at all.

Any advice that you guys can share?

EDIT: I was able to get this working by flipping my shoulder guide completely around (so the arm guide isn’t remotely near the end of the shoulder guide). This works… but doesn’t feel like the right way to do it. So, I’m still looking for some guidance on how to do it properly.

It is in my “To Do” list to update that. But I can give you any ETA. Maybe can you try to use control_01?

Thanks for letting me know, MIquel. I’m glad to hear that I didn’t miss something obvious! I’ll try using a control_01 next time.

1 Like