Home Website Youtube GitHub

Mocap retargeting and animation importing/exporting

Hello,

I’ve been looking at working with mocap data with mGear for a bit now.
I see that there are some tools to use HIK with the biped template, but I was wondering if there are any plans to further develop these tools.

In my case, there are 2 things that I’ve been trying for the past few weeks.

1. Getting mocap data to work with not just the biped template, but any custom rig, and with z-up coordinates as well. There are a few solutions I’ve come across but all of them involve manually creating a json or doing some other manual constraining work.

2. Re-applying skeletal animation back to their original control rig. This is the one I’m most interested in, and my particular use case is the following:

Say I have any given rig with facial controls. What I want to do is export the skeleton into an external animation program like Cascadeur, which is nice for creating physics-based animations, and after that, get the animated skeleton back into mGear so I can then further polish the animation and add the facial animation on top.

This is similar to applying mocap to a rig, but the main point is being able to do this on a non-humanoid, for example, a monster or a robot for which I want to do a first animation pass in some external software.

I realize that there is quite a bit of complexity to this subject, but with AI-assisted tools becoming more and more present in the industry, I feel like being able to take advantage of them without losing the ability to animate by hand would be really valuable.

I’ve created this topic under Feature Request because I think it would be nice to have this kind of tool integrated into mGear if possible, but suggestions on how to approach writing a smaller, more automated and scalable custom solution would also be very much appreciated.

Thanks for taking the time to read!

Hi @Neele_Yet

Yes, updating the mocap tools is in the roadmap, but not for the next immediate version, but the following one :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s great news! Thanks for letting me know, I’m looking forward to it! :+1: