Home Website Youtube GitHub

Neck IK Popping/Flipping

NeckFlipping

I’m very far and late into the finishing the rigging process. Doing correctives and I didn’t notice this issue. Doesn’t happen when I rotate the FK. Is there anyway to fix this.

Hi @dew
Can you send me just the guide of the neck?

I’m not sure I have the guides anymore since it was months ago. :frowning:

can you send me something to check? removing models and parts of the rig

https://easyupload.io/r274em let me know if that link works. Its just the neck module.

the problem was that the blade was not set correctly in the build and the to twist references where in a different starting position creating a 90 degrees flip

to workaround this without build again you need align the interpolate matrix reference with the neck IK ctl orientation

later take all the position references

reset the translation and set a value in x axis

The latest will be to update the parent matrix offset one by one

That should keep the joints in the original position and fix the flip at 90 degrees.
Note that a flip at 180 degrees still exist

Here is the fixed sample Dropbox - neck_flip_fix.ma - Simplify your life

This is one of the reasons why using Data-centric rigging is important. The ability to rebuild and fix issues is crucial :wink:

2 Likes

Ty Miquel!!! Sorry about the confusion. I am completely new to rigging this way. It’s taking me a bit to get used to thinking about data centric style. I’m very grateful that also shows me a lot about how the neck works as well.

Off topic but related, how do these work under the hood, is there a ribbon driving the IK spline or is it a custom mGear node driving things?

1 Like

is a path constrain with upvector

Path constrain? Is that specific to mGear or just maya nodes? I haven’t heard of that before specifically.

Hey @Dew,

MotionPath Constraint under the contraints menu :grinning:Standard Maya node.

1 Like

Ah okay I wasn’t sure, I always heard it called motionpathNode

1 Like