Home Website Youtube GitHub

Pole Vector for Mannequin legs

Hello , I trying to rig character with uneven thigh and calf using UE mannequin template. As soon I lifting knee guide up I starting to get weird poly vector placement after build. How can I fix it? Thank you

Hi there,

It calculates a triangle between the guides. Your limb looks very straight, so the slightest movement sideways will result in a large angle.

So you might either have to place it very carefully, or add a bit more bend to the limb by bringing it slightly forward.

hmm… even with extreme bend it have a weird placement. I think it’s about where leg_L0_knee located up or down between leg and ankle guides

I forgot to mention. Biped template pole vector working well! I guess this is Epic mannequin thing. Thanks!

Sorry, I can’t tell what you’re trying to show in that screenshot. It’s from the top?

Maybe you can upload your guide scene somewhere so we can look.

• What version of Maya?
  • What version of mGear?
  • y-up or z-up?

Sorry, I’ll try to be more clear:
Maya 2024 ,
MGear 4.2.2 ,
Y - up

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1y-yLjkkYa2OUTRrImhoVNnBOVqPw52RN/view?usp=drive_link

Thanks!

1 Like

EPIC mannequin Z- up template knee pole vector working great. So I wonder if I can use Z- up template and rotate all guide group 90 degrees? Only thing off is a world controller but I can rotate vertices to fix it?

You say it’s working great with the other templates. Are you placing the guides at exactly the same spot? My guess is when you make another test template, you have different placement.

Looking at your guide placement, the pole vector is going exactly where it should be pointing, based on the triangle of the guides.

It would be nice if there was some kind of helper that would show where your pole vector will go automatically. But I suggest the following to make cleaner limb placements:

• You have some offset on leg_L0_base. I don’t even know what that node does, but in the template, it is at 0,0,0 under the leg root. Yours is off to the side a bit.
  • Avoid having translate Z on the knee and ankle. Try to use only TX, TY, and RZ, to get nice clean planar positions. It makes it easier to get that perfect triangle.
1 Like

You right! I played with orientation / translation and now is working well, Thank you

1 Like