Home Website Youtube GitHub

Progressive space switch - IK Reference Array

Hi all,
I am wondering if there is any (built-in) way that the space switch can be made in a progressive way, rather than having the space switch to choose one or other option full influence. To say it differently, if there would be a way to choose how much each of the reference is affecting the position of the affected control (float values instead of enum attribute). I hope this makes sense.

Thanks a lot in advance, and thanks for this wonderful framework!

Hello @jlm

Currently (as far as I know) this is not really possible by design. The Enum attributes reacting as integers this doesn’t allow transitions… That been said I am throwing an idea that you can test. Try setting up two different animation layers. One in which you have one space and the other where you have the second space (don’t know how maya will react to this). And then you can try putting the top layer blend at 50% on of top of the other? I’ve never test this so this might not work at all :smiley:

2 Likes

Hi @Jerome,

Thanks for your quick reply and suggestion! The only issue with that is that I would need this to be in the rig as attribute(s), so I might need to script it as a post step, or maybe dig into the mGear code, hehe. :smiley:

Thanks a lot! Cheers!

You can indeed override the connections into the constain node and handle them by a float attribute. My recommendation on this would be that if you are going to do this on float type attributes that you create a separate attribute per switch so that you can really dial how each driver’s amplitude. So if you have 5 parent switches on your enum you would separate those into 5 different attributes… That’s just a recommendation rather than going for one single float attribute with a range from 0 to 4…

3 Likes

Hey @Jerome, thanks again!
Yes, that was the behavior I was thinking about, to have each influence from 0 to 1 and then in animation there is freedom to decide for each situation.
Cheers!

1 Like