Home Website Youtube GitHub

Questions about the force uniform scaling in all joints by commection all axis to Z axis option

Questions about the force uniform scaling in all joints by commection all axis to Z axis option

My animator requires a single-axis scale object. I checked my rig because I checked the force uniform scaling in all joints by commection all axis to Z axis setting in the guide’s setting interface, which made it impossible to scale the object in a single axis.

Is it possible to achieve single-axis scaling without breaking the rig structure? Is there any better way?

Thank you!

Hello @fury_Night

I am confuse, you can uncheck this setting on your guides and rebuild no your rig no?

Hi @Jerome
Thanks for your quick answer
Yes, I can rebuild the rig. Just looking for a better way to avoid the need to rebuild the rig.
I know what to do. Thank you!

Rebuilding would be the fastest but if you want to avoid rebuilding then you need to parse the skinning joints scale attribute input connection and make the Scale X and Scale Y been driven by the correct attribute as most of the components are still been compatible with individual axis, it’s just the end connection that changes… I am saying this I am not totally sure/confident on the repercussions of this. @Miquel is the best suited for this question.

@fury_Night

As @Jerome said, you need to run a little script to change the connections. All the nodes are there. I just a matter of change the connection.

But… If you are in Maya 2019 or later, the Join.shear attribute is not working, So if the joint is not a tip joint (the last joint at the extreme of a chain, i.e: fingertips) the results of scaling can be really nasty since we don’t use segment scale compensation.

I hope this is fixed in the next Maya release

2 Likes

Haha thanks @Miquel for reminding that!

1 Like

@fury_Night @Jerome A little bird told me that Maya 2020.1 have fixed the issue. I have to try it, but if someone have access to the latest Maya release, please let me know. Thanks