Home Website Youtube GitHub

RBF manager goes back to default pose

Is there a way to stop the RBF joints from going back to the default pose if I go beyond the value of a pose?
Example

Hey @Ross_Daniel

Sadly, I do not think it would be possible for the RBF node (weightDriver) to comprehend this as an option. As it is just trying to find the closest “next” pose which at the extreme in your example would be the default.

Say you are setting up a driver on an elbow, you usually make the 0, 45, and 90 degree poses. I like to also add an extreme pose, even if it doesn’t look ideal, just to avoid it defaulting to 0.

It would probably be the simplest solution to your situation.
Cheers,
Raf

In @Milio “Wayne Batman rig” it seems to be working in the way I want it to without any defaulting. Did he do something different?

I have not looked over that rig. Hopefully, @Milio can share some information on that setup

Hi! As @Rafael said, RBF is not a truly perfect solution. But it does nice work when your inputs are sort of “sensible”. However, depending on what you try to solve could be impossible to avoid that undesired interpolation between set poses. I usually do think ahead, simply animating and skinning the movement of the rbf node I want to figure out. Once happy with how it looks keyframing all I try to replicate the functionality using RBF and giving the keyframe poses. I usually work with a range of motion samples to evaluate the behavior more extensively. I’d also say less is more, regarding the number of input poses needed for solving the node.

I did include a guide and RBF file along with the rig in the latest version of the Wayne rig. Get the guide, built the rig, and import the RBF file and compare how I set up biceps, triceps, and other RBF nodes there if it helps you.

Cheers.

1 Like

I want to just quickly remind that if you are using RBF to just drive one single pose it will be overkill and might not be the best solution for it. If you want to avoid an RBF pose to trigger a specific pose you need to still add extras poses to the node so that the interpolation from neutral to your pose gets triggered in a more directional way.

2 Likes