Home Website Youtube GitHub

Rivet.py in rigbits folder

Hi all, I noticed there’s a “rivet.py” in rigbits folder, I assume it is for building ribbons, yes? If yes, how to use it?

The arguments says “mesh”, “edge1”, “edge2”, “parent”, and “name=None”, and I’ve tried manually input those variables, but it never worked. Is there something I’m missing here?

Please post the actual code you attempted, otherwise we can only guess!

1 Like

Ah, right. Sorry. I’m not too sure how to do this. All I did was create a simple cylinder geometry, and save 2 edge loops into 2 variables. Then I try to run the rivet script. It looks something like this:

import mgear.rigbits
import mgear.rigbits.rivet

edge1_ls = [u'pCylinder1.e[33]', u'pCylinder1.e[38]', u'pCylinder1.e[43]', u'pCylinder1.e[48]', u'pCylinder1.e[53]', u'pCylinder1.e[58]', u'pCylinder1.e[63]']
edge2_ls = [u'pCylinder1.e[32]', u'pCylinder1.e[37]', u'pCylinder1.e[42]', u'pCylinder1.e[47]', u'pCylinder1.e[52]', u'pCylinder1.e[57]', u'pCylinder1.e[62]']

mgear.rigbits.rivet.create(mesh='pyCylinder1', edge1=edge1_ls, edge2=edge2_ls, parent='null1', name='test')

and it return this:

# Error: 'module' object has no attribute 'create'
# Traceback (most recent call last):
#   File "<maya console>", line 1, in <module>
# AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'create' # 

But when I look at rivet.py, this first function is like this:

def create(self, mesh, edge1, edge2, parent, name=None):
        self.sources = {
            'oMesh': mesh,
            'edgeIndex1': edge1,
            'edgeIndex2': edge2
        }

self.createNodes()
        self.createConnections()
        self.setAttributes()
        if parent:
            pm.parent(self.o_node['locator'].getParent(), parent)
        if name:
            pm.rename(self.o_node['locator'].getParent(), name)

return self.o_node['locator'].getParent()

And I thought if I can provide those arguments, I can build a ribbon with this rivet script. I also roughly went through the tutorial through this link >> http://jinglezzz.tumblr.com and I feel like, I must have missed something.

2 Likes

Thanks! I edited your post to include backticks ``` around your code, so it formats as code.

1. The rivet module doesn’t have a create function. The rivet class inside the rivet module has a create method. So you could need to create an instance of mgear.rigbits.rivet.rivet().create()

2. I don’t know, but I assume the edge arguments are supposed to be edges, not edge-loops. As in one single edge. But again, I don’t know!

3. A lot of scripts in mGear expect PyNodes, not strings. This example below isn’t working for me, I’m still getting an error, but it would be closer to something like this:

import pymel.core as pm
import mgear.rigbits
import mgear.rigbits.rivet

myNode = pm.PyNode('pCylinder1')
myParent = pm.PyNode('null1')

edge1_ls = pCylinder.e[33]
edge2_ls = pCylinder.e[32]

mgear.rigbits.rivet.rivet().create(mesh=myNode, edge1=edge1_ls, edge2=edge2_ls, parent=myParent, name='test')

I’m still getting an error. My error is:

// Error: RuntimeError: file /Applications/Autodesk/maya2018/Maya.app/Contents/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/Current/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pymel/internal/pmcmds.py line 134: setAttr: The type 'long' is not the name of a recognized type. //
  1. If you look in /scripts/mgear/rigbits/tweaks.py line 167, you will find an example of the rivet code in action. It might help you find the correct syntax.
2 Likes

The module tweaks.py is using rivet.py

the river pair is just the index number not the full object

I see. I thought it was a standalone object.

Thank you for clearing this, Miquel! Is there any plan to implement ribbons in foreseeable future?

no plans from me :sweat_smile:

1 Like