Home Website Youtube GitHub

Rotate body control without affecting legs!?

Hello,

I’m very new to mGear, but I was wondering if it’s possible to create a rig where the forward rotation of the body control doesn’t affect the legs!? I’ve attached an image to explain better. Currently when rotating the body control it affects the legs. How would I set it up so that doesn’t happen!?

Many thanks for your help…

Paul

COG_leg_rotation

1 Like

Hi Paul,

It should be as simple as adding another root control for your spine, that the hips and legs are not parented under. You could use a Control_01 component for that.

1 Like

Hi Chris,

Apologies for the late reply. Thanks for your suggestion. That did the trick! Many thanks… I’m slowly but surely learning :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know this is old, but just in case it helps someone, another way to deal with the issue is by having the legs roots and the spine root aligned in height and depth. I tend to place the spine_root guide just above the crotch area, and the leg_roots on the same spot but moved outwards. If your model allows it, you should not have any leg movement when rotating

4 Likes

I do exactly what @iker.mozos is describing as well specially on cartoony assets.

Would love to see an image of this if possible :slight_smile:

If the root of the legs (your hips, or COG, or whatever the root of your legs is) is aligned with the leg joint, then when you rotate forward, the leg will not move.

If there is an offset, then the root of the leg will move slightly, because it is rotating around that offset pivot. (This only applies to forward rotation, since your hips or COG will be in the middle of the character.)

legoffset

(My original reply in this thread was a different issue. You can also have an upper body control that the legs simply don’t follow in any axis, for just moving the spine and up.)

4 Likes