Home Website Youtube GitHub

Skewing body parts in Maya 2019

Hey everyone,

I’m seeing a ton of skewing problems in Maya 2019. I haven’t seen anyone talking about this. In December 2018, we tested Maya 2019, and it was so full of bugs we decided to stay in 2018.

I’m working on a new project with some animators now who are using 2019. They started showing me some gifs and videos of body parts jiggling and skewing. I installed 2019 and it happens on my side too. Both MacOS and Windows.

It doesn’t happen in Maya 2018 or 2020.

I think Maya 2019 is hot garbage, and I recommended that they should upgrade to 2020.3. But has anyone else seen this problem? Is there a setting or a fix?

Maya 2019: This happens everywhere in the rig, including in the face and hands. It’s worse when scaling or stretching. Here the knee tangent is being moved and the foot skews.
footskewproblem

Once again, this doesn’t happen in Maya 2018 or 2020. The foot stays completely still when the knee tangent is moved.

Hello @chrislesage

If I recall correctly in Maya 2019 (in some early versions) Autodesk deactivate the Shear connection in Joints.
You need to build with force uniform scaling

I think this was re-activated in some of the latest 2019 updates, but to be honest I am not 100% sure.

1 Like