Home Website Youtube GitHub

Use of footFront_L0_fk0_ctl

Hi, I am working on a quadruped animal and was wondering about using footFront_L0_fk0_ctl.

What is its purpose?

Depending on the animal you are rigging, if you build a biped template, it might be more clear. Those controls bend forward (FK) so you can bend the foot.

If you are doing a hard-hoof character like a horse, then it might not need to be used. But if the animal has a soft or cartoon foot, then that is how you can bend the foot or the toes.

The placement seems strange in your screenshot. It looks like maybe your FK controls got placed at the same pivot where you would usually put “footFront_L0_bk0_ctl”. Which is the front toe pivot, for the foot roll. And then one got moved up high, maybe by mistake?

I think in the quadruped template, usually that FK control is a bit further back. More in the middle of the foot. I would expect that “footFront_L0_fk0_ctl” control to match where your foot bones are. But I guess you’re free to move it wherever, depending on your needs.

The leg type is close to a cartoony fox.

I relooked at the reference and it turns out to have 1 more bone in front leg. After readjusting the guide, it works better.