Home Website Youtube GitHub

2022 missing mgear menu

After checking multiple other threads I have nothing left to try except posting to see if anyone has any other ideas.

I have mgear installed and will import when running “import mgear” in console, but no menu items appear on the menu bar.
I have Python 3 installed as can be seen in the image,
I have pymel installed as can be seen in the image and no errors appear importing it,
recently upgraded from maya 2022.2 to 2022.3 with no change in behaviour.
I have deleted the maya prefs folder with no change in behaviour.

any ideas on what else to try?
I’d be happy to directly call menu items by script if there’s a way to find out what those commands are?

How/where do you have mGear installed?

What version of mGear?

Hey Chris, thanks for responding.

version: 4.0.3
install path: E:\Documents\maya\modules\scripts\mgear
I wonder if my documents folder being on the E:\ drive and not the C:\ drive makes a difference?

just did an uninstall/re-install of Maya2022 with no luck too.
I have done a few uninstall/reinstalls of mgear, one post mentioned putting it outside the default path so I tried installing it to a folder on my D:\ drive which didn’t change anything so far.

No, the path shouldn’t (usually) matter, and it is loading.

Have you seen this thread? There are no clear answers, but it seems like kind of a common problem. For Joe, it was some kind of problem with the userSetup.py file. Installing mGear in Maya 2020

Just a quick head’s up to close this thread about the installation. The issue was due to errors caused by a preceding userSetup.py file. The way @joedanimation had mGear setup on his end was correct, just failed to load due to Maya’s cascading effect on loading time.

Unfortunately, I don’t know exactly what a potential fix could be, or even how to test that.

Hey Chris,
This was helpful! I started checking the output log and indeed some custom tools were throwing errors causing some userSetup.py files to fail loading.

The cause of the issue was the change from python 2 to python 3, some of the scripts were missing parenthesis on print statements and a few modules needed updating to their python 3 names. Once this was done mgear has started loading again.

Thanks for your help!

Nice, glad you got it sorted!

1 Like