Home Website Youtube GitHub

cvWrap convert to Skin?

I am having a more than satisfactory base when using cvWrap, and not so much the method of copy skin weights in an accessory of a character, but I find that the final result of cvWrap I can’t convert it to skin to continue improving it, am I in a lost battle? should I forget to use cvWrap?

cvWrap achieved better results without effort, I would like to know if it is possible to convert it to skin.

Is there supposed to be a method to convert it to skin? Did you see a tutorial where someone did it? Am I behind on Maya features, and there is a “convert to skin” button?

I ask because “can’t convert it to skin” made it sound like there is supposed to be a way. (Maybe it is possible, but please let us know where the question is coming from, and what you’ve tried so far.)

Otherwise if you are determined to use wraps, for accessories you might want to have an extra middle piece of geometry to help with the transfer.

Example, I sometimes do this for rigid geometry:

• Make a tiny patch geometry. A grid of 2x2 or 4x4 verts or something.
  • Wrap the tiny patch to the body.
  • Wrap the accessory to the patch. Then you’ll get a result that is less mushy or stretchy.
  • OR do a uvPin to the patch, with a joint following, and skin the accessory to that joint. Then you have additional offset control too.

Or for an eyelash, avoid getting weights from the brow or lower lid:

• Copy an edge ring from the upper eyelid. Just the single ring (or two).
  • Wrap or copy weights from the body to the ring.
  • Wrap or copy weights from the ring to the eyelash.

(That sometimes helps when copying skin weights to small or rigid things too.)

1 Like

@chrislesage
You are right, my apologies, I misinterpreted the Bake deform Tool, I imagined that I could make the skin co-inversion and it is not so. My apologies.
Anyway the information that you publish is very good and useful for those who start in this subject like me.

https://help.autodesk.com/view/MAYAUL/2024/ENU/?guid=GUID-DD430C9B-95E7-4EBB-8D2B-A566018B4AC4

2 Likes