Home Website Youtube GitHub

Eye Rigger with Cartoony Eyeball

hi,

i want to use the eyerigger with cartoony stretched eyballs.
when i am using the stretched deformed eyball in the ui, the script hangs forever…
it seems only to work when the eyeball is a perfect sphere…
when using a perfect sphere then the blink curvature follows more a circle, the eyelid is bulging too much outwards, so it looks strange for a cartoony eye/eyelid…
is there a way to use the eyerigger with such cartoony eyes?

btw. the movement of the eyelid bones are driven by curves right?
is it possible to modify that curves to get a better blinkpose? couldnt find which curve is actually driving the closed/open state…

1. It seems to only work with a spherical eye - I can’t think of any reason a non-spherical eye would cause the script to hang. Rather, I bet it is the deformation stack on your eye that is causing problems. Because it tries to skin the eyeball.

You said “stretched deformed eyeball”. What kind of history/deformers are on the eye? What if you duplicate the eye, and rig the eyelids with that duplicated no-history eye? That’s what I do, because I use a template eye rig that already has deformations on it. I just want some temporary eye geo so the eye-rigger can do it’s thing. Then I delete the duplicate eye.

1. Modifying the blink curves. Which curve? - There are something like 10 curves per eye plus 4 wireBase curves. Two of those curves (one per eyelid) has a set of blendshapes. Those blendshapes are live geometry. So the targets are connected to other wire-deformed curves. Those curves are connected by wire, so they follow your eyelid shapes, when adjusting the eye controllers.

So you can’t just edit the blendshapes. The targets are live and driven. But perhaps you could add some in-between or corrective targets on those blendshapes. Or some other deformer on to those curves.

The curves with the blendshapes are eye_L_midBlink_target and eye_L_midBlinkLower_target. (At least that is the name in my rig.)

1 Like

thanx for the hints.
yes i use the automatic skinning option. have to try without, but its good to have an initial skinning when have to deal with a lot of spans (eyelid bones)…

for the eyeballs i use a lattice deformer on top of the skinning. the undeformed state is spherical…
yes i use a duplicate of the deformed eyeball without history, to give the eye-rig-script a clean mesh for finding its center…

but i get a too much outward blink movement, wich looks too much for my specific cartoony eyeball…have to try with the inbetweens…