Home Website Youtube GitHub

Faster way to Import Skinpacks?

Hey everyone! I am working on quite a big project and it requires editing the skeleton and weights quite a bit and that means exporting and importing the weights a lot and everything works perfectly, but when importing the skinpacks it takes sometimes up to an hour to finish every time! I am on maya 2024 and I am just wondering if there’s any tips on what I can do to speed up the process, thank you! :smiley:

Whoa. That is not normal! (Except I’ve never tested 2024.)

How many verts is this geometry? Do you have any older versions of Maya you could test in just to see if it’s the Maya version?

In total there’s 73941 verts, there’s things like body, clothes, facial features; eyes and brows etc, all separated in different meshes, and that’s not a bad idea! What version would you suggest works best for mgear? Also what version do you use out of curiosity? :smiley:

It shouldn’t matter really. But if you do test, and you find out it’s just in 2024 please reply back. It could be investigated and fixed. Maybe something changed in the Maya API.

I use 2020 and 2022 for supporting different projects. I used 2023 once. I’ll install 2024 in 2026 maybe. :slight_smile:

If anyone else has tried 2024 and found the same slow down, please let us all know!

I’ll do some testing on it and get back to you on the results! :slight_smile:

That’s understandable! One last question is there a reason as to why you use 2020? I’m a bit of a noob at maya, just trying to get an understanding of a few things before I delve into more things with it haha.

No, no specific reason. It’s for clients who are working on games. They typically don’t upgrade major versions halfway between a big project. Some other companies upgrade slowly too to stay on the most stable versions. Rigging artists need to work on the same or older version of Maya for backwards compatibility.

I personally like 2020 because ngSkinTools 1.X had some features I miss in 2.X. But I’m getting used to it.

Ohh I get ya. I always wondered how that worked and why game developers never used the more up to date recent versions, the more you know lol. But I don’t blame you, I haven’t fully had the chance to use ngskintools v2 as of yet but a while ago I used to use v1 and did notice the change, even though I used maya a long time ago I still call my self a noob at it lmao.