Home Youtube GitHub

Guides get named L0_L0


#1

I can’t reproduce this reliably. But sometimes, when I rename a guide, I end up with “leg_L0_L0_root” instead of "leg_L0_root"

Only the root has the incorrect name. All the children are fine.

I think it happens when I’m renaming the guide in the settings UI. But not always. Possibly when an old guide used to have the same name. For example, I am deleting a leg_2jnt_01 module and replacing it with a leg_3jnt_01 module with the same name.

When I go to build the rig, I get an error because it expects to find that guide root:

Object missing : leg_L0_root
# Error: line 1: root
# Traceback (most recent call last):

... not relevant error messages here

To fix it, I have to rename the guide from leg_L0_L0_root, back to leg_L0_root manually.


#2

It just happened again on a control_01 module. I opened the guide and changed which control was the “Channels Host Settings” control. I did not rename or reindex the control_01. But the name did get changed to clavicle_R1_R1_root.

(And yes the index of 1 is correct. That did not change.)

Hmm… It actually changed 3 of my root nodes on 3 different guides, as I changed the channels host.

Also, this is mGear 3.0.3
Windows 10, Maya 2018.5


#3

mGear is not so tolerant about renaming its modules, not sure if the devs team can deal with such an issue without a need to re-write lots of mGear’s code -am just thinking in loud words :thinking: -


#4

I know about this bug, it is an old one. The issue is that is hard to replicate consistently, so hard to fix

Please let me know if you find a way to replicate it :slight_smile:

Thanks!


#5

I still haven’t been able to reliably reproduce it, but I have some clues.

It only appears to happen when the rig is already built. Which is causing some naming conflicts with Foo_root nodes having the same name.

Since I’ve been testing, it never seems to happen when it is only the pre-built guide in the scene.

I’ll keep digging.


#6

@chrislesage Yep I also think is happening because the name duplication in some roots when the rig is build.

Not only for this bug, but for other tools also, I was thinking to change the name extension of the root in the guides as a quick fix. But this will break some backwards compatibility