Home Website Youtube GitHub

IK FK Controls VisibilitySwitch

Hi everyone,

Is there a built-in solution in mGear to create IK/FK controls visibility switch? Because right now it seems cluttered with controls for the character I am building. Switching from UI host doesn’t seem to hide the other controls.

If I should do that in a custom step, what would be your recommendation?

Cheers,

the IK/FK blend should switch the visibility of the respective controls. Do you get any error when you build the rig?

There is no blend in the spine, am I right? I don’t know if that is intended but animators are asking to switch visibility because there are many FK controls and makes it harder to see all controls.

I also wonder what is the purpose for root controls for legs, they seem to be there even if I switch to FK.

I thought maybe there is an option to distribute rotation by creating in between joints across the chain then I can get away with less FK controls

The visibility is controlled by the blending threshold from 0 to 1 automatically. I have had in situations like you mentioned, where animators “moaned” about certain rig features…and you know you can never get it right for all of them. :sunglasses:
You can get your own visibility options there doing some postpro after building, so you can independently get the visibility of each FK and IK on and off. I personally dislike it very much as is even messier, having floating chains all over the place. There’s no need for much blending between them if you take advantage of mGear power given by match fk/ik features. I also heavily recommend working with animpicker to get all the rigging features, an easy picking up of controls.

My experience as a rigger and animator myself is that many of the animator issues are mostly because of a “lack of knowledge about the tool itself”.

Cheers.

Thanks for the answer,

Is there a way to make IK/FK Match for the spine? Because I tried Synoptic and it’s giving me strange results.

are they really keen on having blending ik fk in the spine? 8-o im curious about what situations they might need such a thing…

Seems like animpicker is also having issues in the default biped template as the number of fk needs to match: this seems to be ok transfering ok:

from mgear.anim_picker.handlers import action_handlers

if not INIT:
fkControls = [“spine_C0_fk0_ctl”, “spine_C0_fk1_ctl”, “spine_C0_fk2_ctl”]
ikControls = [“spine_C0_ik0_ctl”, “spine_C0_ik1_ctl”, “spine_C0_spinePosition_ctl”, “spine_C0_tan0_ctl”, “spine_C0_tan_ctl”, “spine_C0_tan1_ctl”]
action_handlers.spine_ik_fk_transfer(NAMESPACE, fkControls, ikControls)

Forget synoptic (as it is an obsolete feature already) and embrace the animpicker.

2 Likes

Correct, no show/hide for the spine. But should be easy to implement :stuck_out_tongue:

that is for offfset the root of the legs. This controls are not part of the IK or FK control set