Home Website Youtube GitHub

Is mgear suitable for rigging a robot ant?

Hello! I am new to mgear and find it amazing! However I am not sure if it is suitable for rigging a robot ant I am currently making. I heard that it is not so good for robot/mechanical rigging due to some bugs - for example deformation of elbow. Can anyone give me some advice? Thanks!

I don’t see why it shouldn’t work. If you go to the “finished work” thread of this forum, you’ll notice all types of rigs.
Check out Emilio’s work, he has pretty much rigged all types of things. In some of his rigs he has the guides so you can view them and learn.

1 Like

Thanks! That’s helpful!

Hi! mGear is not very friendly when you have some of your bones axis locked or you want to solve a long chain of bones with an IK solver. The components are defined for standard arms, legs or quadrupeds and they are solved as a normal IK triangular plane with no axis restrictions, ball and socket type. If your robot copes with these limitations mGear is perfectly fine, otherwise, you need to either create a new mGear component or a series of postscripts that creates the desired behaviour.

2 Likes