Home Website Youtube GitHub

Maya 2024 Looks Promising. Will mGear be available for it like previous versions?

Also Chad is also posting updates and commentary here: PyMEL 1.3.0, 1.3.1, 1.4.0b1 with support Maya 2024 - Maya - Tech-Artists.Org

@dew @chrislesage I have mgear up and running in Maya 2024 and compiled the solvers (only for Windows at the moment)
just grab the latest commit in master branch. :wink: I will do a tag release tomorrow

About pymel:
To install pymel just need to take the latest beta release from Chad and copy the pymel folder to your Maya scripts folder, not need to pip it if that is easier for you

3 Likes

Hi Miquel, I’ve pasted the pymel-1.4.0b1 folder into \Documents\maya\2024\scripts but I can’t seem to get the plugin to load. What’s the next step after copying the files?

You can find installation instructions for Pymel in that folder:

pymel-1.4.0b1/docs/source/install.rst

I suggest reading that whole doc and seeing which method is best for you. There are some other ways you can install it.

(Or use an older version of Maya until things are all figured out.)

Hi @Miquel

I’m trying to build for Maya 2024. Getting a few issues.

1- The maya.py doesn’t include any entry for 2024 for mscver and gccver.
2- I keep getting this error even when targeting 2023 or by simply calling scons -h
scons: Reading SConscript files ...
[excons] Read excons.cache: C:/src/mgear_dist/excons.cache
'dict' object has no attribute 'iteritems'
[excons][maya] Using MAYA_LOCATION environment.
Using msvc 14.2
AttributeError: 'list' object has no attribute 'read':
File "C:\src\mgear_dist\SConstruct", line 9: env = excons.MakeBaseEnv()
File "C:\src\mgear_dist\excons\__init__.py", line 920: env = SCons.Script.Environment(ENV={"PATH": os.environ["PATH"], "TMP": os.environ["TEMP"]}, MSVC_VERSION=mscver, MSVS_VERSION=mscver, MSVS_ARCH=msvsarch, TARGET_ARCH=msvsarch)
File "C:\Users\ironi\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python39\lib\site-packages\SCons\Environment.py", line 1030: apply_tools(self, tools, toolpath)

Then it goes for another few lines.

Any idea how to resolve it?

the maya 2024 solvers for windows are already in the github repository :wink:

Thanks Miquel

I just saw them, sorry I was looking for a tag or some note but couldn’t find it, I just found them.

I would still like to build the latest for Maya 2023, any chance I get a hand/hint on how to successfuly build for Maya 2023?

Thank you,
Iyad

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction Chris! Got it to work via manual installation. Could not pip due to windows permission issues that I couldn’t fix.

1 Like

Hey everyone.

It runs in Maya 2024 with this settings:

copy this dev version to your mgear release folder

like this

grafik

set inv variable, like this

copy pymel folder from Chad

to

grafik .

result

1 Like

These steps do not work for me. They don’t load mgear into the top menu, they don’t load or display mgear_solvers.mll in the plugin manager, and in the script editor python tab “import mgear” does not work

If you can post any errors you’re getting maybe other’s could help out.

Followed all steps by rasputin468

cannot find mgear on python import.

Error: ModuleNotFoundError: file line 4: No module named ‘mgear’

MGEAR installed to C:/Users/USER/Documents/maya/2024/modules

Maya.env looks like this

MGEAR_MODULE_PATH=“C:/Users/USER/Documents/maya/2024/modules”
MAYA_MODULE_PATH= C:/Users/USER/Documents/maya/modules;%MGEAR_MODULE_PATH%

also tried adding slash at the end
MGEAR_MODULE_PATH=“C:/Users/USER/Documents/maya/2024/modules/”

mgear does not show up into the top menu, they don’t load or display mgear_solvers.mll in the plugin manager, and in the script editor python tab “import mgear” does not work

are you copy pymel correct from latest release and use dev verion from github ?!

btw.
is this correct to set maya .env path to ‘MGEAR_MODULE_PATH=“C:/Users/USER/Documents/maya/2024/modules”’ and not to ‘release’ folder ?

It depends how you place the files. The path just has to point to wherever the module is. Where mGear.mod is. If you move the whole release folder into the module path, then you’d have to point to the release folder.

1 Like

Maya 2024 now runs natively on Apple silicon Macs.

Will mgear support it?

1 Like

Hello there !

Any ETA for mGear for Maya 2024 ?

We are going into production soon and we need to test it quickly

Thanks
-p-

production

quickly

Those sound like words that shouldn’t be mixed too casually. :slight_smile: In this thread above, Miquel said you can grab the latest commit in the master branch.

But me personally? I’m still sticking with stable configurations. We’re still using Maya 2020 and 2022 on various projects. And two game projects we are still on mGear 3.6.0 and mGear 3.7.11.

Maya 2024 now runs natively on Apple silicon Macs.

@dyf_1998 not sure what you mean. I’ve always had Maya 2020 and 2022 running just fine on Apple silicon. Yes mGear will support it, once the plugins can be compiled. (Assuming someone didn’t do that already.)

Hi!
I’ve managed to get pymel installed and working fine for maya 2024 in linux.
I even manged to get mgear menu appearing and seemingly work, menus and all but seems like solver is not working. I do try to load solver from 2023 so… Is there build for maya 2024 of mgear solvers that works?

“the maya 2024 solvers for windows are already in the github repository :wink:
Having trouble finding those, can you please point out direction? thanks!