Home Website Youtube GitHub

Meta Human Skeleton Errors w/extra rig components added

Having some issues trying to add additional rig components to the Epic Meta Human Template.
Seems related to the new naming rules, where the “rule_name” in add_joint() is returning 0 instead of a string. Assuming this is related to center components not having a “Center” token specified.

To Repro:

1. Import the Mgear-> Shifter-> Guide Template Samples-> Epic Meta Human Template Z Up
  2. Select “neck_C0_head” (You can get the error parenting to other components too)
  3. Add a “chain_spring_01” component (default settings are fine)
  4. Select “guide” and build rig

We get the following output:

# Traceback (most recent call last):
#   File "C:\Users\apfau\Documents\maya\modules\scripts\mgear\shifter\guide_manager.py", line 62, in build_from_selection
#     rg.buildFromSelection()
#   File "C:\Users\apfau\Documents\maya\modules\scripts\mgear\shifter\__init__.py", line 200, in buildFromSelection
#     self.build()
#   File "C:\Users\apfau\Documents\maya\modules\scripts\mgear\shifter\__init__.py", line 226, in build
#     self.processComponents()
#   File "C:\Users\apfau\Documents\maya\modules\scripts\mgear\shifter\__init__.py", line 419, in processComponents
#     comp.stepMethods[i]()
#   File "C:\Users\apfau\Documents\maya\modules\scripts\mgear\shifter\component\__init__.py", line 158, in step_04
#     self.jointStructure()
#   File "C:\Users\apfau\Documents\maya\modules\scripts\mgear\shifter\component\__init__.py", line 1558, in jointStructure
#     gearMulMatrix=gearMulMatrix))
#   File "C:\Users\apfau\Documents\maya\modules\scripts\mgear\shifter\component\__init__.py", line 269, in addJoint
#     rot_off=rot_off)
#   File "C:\Users\apfau\Documents\maya\modules\scripts\mgear\shifter\component\__init__.py", line 324, in _addJoint
#     transform.getTransform(obj))
#   File "C:\Users\apfau\Documents\maya\modules\scripts\mgear\core\primitive.py", line 127, in addJoint
#     node.setTransformation(m)
#   File "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2018\Python\lib\site-packages\pymel\core\general.py", line 1817, in createNode
#     res = cmds.createNode(*args, **kwargs)
#   File "C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Maya2018\Python\lib\site-packages\pymel\internal\pmcmds.py", line 134, in createNode_wrapped
#     res = new_cmd(*new_args, **new_kwargs)
# RuntimeError: New name has no legal characters.
1 Like

Thanks for the feedback @AaronPf I will check this ASAP

I have log it here

Thanks Miquel!
Excited to see the Meta Human Skeleton being supported!

Aaron

Hello @AaronPf I have fixed the issue
since the joint name is just the number index, Maya was complaining that is not a valid Maya name. Maya doesn’t support names starting with numbers

The solution is simple. In case the name starts with a number it will add the name of the component in front.

I have added some warnings to inform the user. But thinking about more elegant way

Ticket was renamed and moved here

2 Likes

Thanks for the quick fix Miquel!

What’s the best way to pick up this fix right away?

you can manually override this file on your mGear installation

https://github.com/mgear-dev/shifter/blob/master/scripts/mgear/shifter/component/init.py

but please backup the old one just in case :wink:

@Miquel
Everything working as expected now, thanks again for the super quick response!

1 Like