Home Website Youtube GitHub

mGear 3.7.11: Compatible with Mac OS?

Hello! I’m currently trying to install mGear 3.7.11 for an upcoming project. I’m on a Mac, and when I tried installing it, it didn’t show up in Maya. I checked out the documentation, and the most recent document about mGear 3.7.11 is from April 2021 saying it’s only compatible with Windows 10. Is this still the case?

Thanks!

It is definitely compatible with MacOS. That’s what I use.

What version of Maya? That “Only for Win10 and Python2” means that mGear 3.7.11 is not supported in Maya 2022 on Mac.

But you should be able to use Maya 2018, 2019, 2020 on Mac. If you need to use Maya 2022, you need to use mGear 4.0.3 or higher, because it is not possible to run Maya 2022 in Python2 mode on MacOS.

1. How did you install it? There are a few different methods. Did you use the drag and drop installer? (Personally, I use the MAYA_MODULE_PATH = method inside my Maya.env file.)

2. Did you do the security thing? In Terminal, you need to run this wherever you installed the mGear plugins. sudo xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine /PATH/TO/THE/MGEAR/SOLVERS/DIRECTORY/

• Make sure you change the path to your actual path.
  • You can also run that command on the mGear files you downloaded before you install it.
  1. Are you getting any errors in your script editor? If you run import mgear in Python, does it give you ImportError?

2. Sometimes people have had trouble if they have a conflicting Maya.env or userSetup.py file. Or if you have some older versions of mGear installed anywhere.

• If you run this Python snippet, it will list all of your module paths.

• You need to make sure that the module folder where you installed mGear is showing up in this list. And you need to make sure you don’t have any other old mGear versions in any of these paths:

import maya.mel
for each in maya.mel.eval('getenv "MAYA_MODULE_PATH";').split(':'):
    print(each)
1 Like

I updated this post to have a bit more information about Maya versions:

2 Likes

Thanks so much Chris! I was able to get it working. :smiley:

1 Like

Thanks @chrislesage for the update :smiley: !!!

1 Like