Home Website Youtube GitHub

Pipeline setup with mgear

Curious to know how others have implemented mgear into a studio environment.

For example rolling out rigs to 20 different characters with body and face setup.
How would one approach this ?

Hi Benn,

When I started with mGear, I wrote out my workflow here. https://rigmarolestudio.com/mgear-rigging-workflow/

It is a bit out of date already, because I started in 2.6, and some of the code changed in mGear 3.0. But I have a few sketches and ideas for how I organize my build scripts and data in a directory structure. I also haven’t kept the document up to date. I’ve made a few changes, but the overall structure is still similar.

Each character has a folder with custom build scripts. But I have a master “common” folder, with scripts which are meant to run for every single character.

When I want to clone a new character, I choose a similar character and duplicate the data (skinning, blendshapes and eye and lip configs) into a new folder. The name of the folder matches the asset name in Shotgun, which helps me write export/publish tools.

I have a few ideas for how I’ll clean up this pipeline for the next film. And I need to learn how to use the serialized version of guides and components. But this structure has served us pretty well so far.

1 Like

Thanks Chris for your feedback.
Be amazing to see a video of how you take a character from the modelling department through to the rig being ready for animation.
I’m aiming at a game pipeline via Unity at the moment.

Don’t hold your breath.

1 Like

I don’t reply to comments like this but…LOL

haha, my comment could have stood with a smiley face. :slight_smile:

But I am not a fan of making videos. It took me 4 years to cut my last demoreel! haha. I’m happy to write as much info as I can.

3 Likes